Client in Spain is not paying - where can I sue?
Thread poster: Alp Berker

Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:16
Turkish to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2010

Dear Translators,
I am based in the US and I have a Spanish outsourcer who has not paid me. Where can I sue to get the money owed to me? I will give no names, but this is an outsourcer that has many left many translators out in the cold, some with big invoices owed.
Any help, tip remark would be appreciated.
thanks!
Alp

Miguel Garcia Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:16
English to French
+ ...
Proceso Monitorio Mar 31, 2010

Please make use of "Proceso Monitorio", who permits to sue directly and without need of a lawyer the debtor. If you google these words, will find tons of information regarding this.

Several online websites are offering to act in your behalf, such as :
http://www.recobralia.com/
http://www.cobratis.es/

If you are contacting as well Asetrad association (www.asetrad.org), you might help other colleagues to know about your situation.

Good luck !

Alp Berker wrote:

Dear Translators,
I am based in the US and I have a Spanish outsourcer who has not paid me. Where can I sue to get the money owed to me? I will give no names, but this is an outsourcer that has many left many translators out in the cold, some with big invoices owed.
thanks!
Alp

[Edited at 2010-03-31 21:00 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Another one bites the dust Mar 31, 2010

Alp Berker wrote:

Dear Translators,
thanks!
Alp

Hello Alp,
you may of course use the procedure described by Miguel but there is not much hope (if at all) as you say in your post that other colleagues are in the same situation. This is why I always check the BB and other sources to see whether the outsourcer is reliable or not when it comes to payments.
Another method would be to e-mail them, to call them etc. each and every day until they eventually pay you in full. It seems that this behaviour works with some outsourcers.

[Edited at 2010-03-31 20:37 GMT]

United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Been there, got the t-shirt Mar 31, 2010

Hi Laurent,
I appreciate the advice. I have emailed, called and down several items. the rather large outsourcer in Spain was reputable until about the time I worked for them, anyway several people are owed a significant amount of money.
thanks,
Alp

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Alp Berker wrote:

Dear Translators,
thanks!
Alp

Hello Alp,
you may of course use the procedure described by Miguel but there is not much hope (if at all) as you say in your post that other colleagues are in the same situation. This is why I always check the BB and other sources to see whether the outsourcer is reliable or not when it comes to payments.
Another method would be to e-mail them, to call them etc. each and every day until they eventually pay you in full. It seems that this behaviour works with some outsourcers.

[Edited at 2010-03-31 20:37 GMT]

United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Miguel! I will try them Apr 1, 2010

Thanks Miguel! I will try them

Miguel Garcia Lopez wrote:

Please make use of "Proceso Monitorio", who permits to sue directly and without need of a lawyer the debtor. If you google these words, will find tons of information regarding this.

If you are contacting as well Asetrad association (www.asetrad.org), you might help other colleagues to know about your situation.

Good luck !

Alp Berker wrote:

Dear Translators,
thanks!
Alp

Miguel Garcia Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Let us know the outcome Apr 1, 2010

Welcome Alp

Alp Berker wrote:

Thanks Miguel! I will try them

Miguel Garcia Lopez wrote:

Good luck !

Alp Berker wrote:

Dear Translators,
thanks!
Alp

[Edited at 2010-04-01 21:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client in Spain is not paying - where can I sue?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search