Trados-leveraged words
Thread poster: Kim Carlson Tadenuma

Kim Carlson Tadenuma  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 3, 2010

What are the normal rates (percentages) for Trados-leveraged words?

Alexey Oparin
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:59
English to Russian
Example Apr 3, 2010

Kim,

What do you mean by "normal" rates? Rates differ. Just for example:

Repetitions, Format Changes - 10%
100% match - 20%
Fuzzy 95-99% - 30%
Fuzzy 85-94% - 50%
Fuzzy 75-84% - 75%

Some agencies count 100% match as 25%, some count 75-84% as 100%, but an average is somewhere nearby (I believe).

Kim Carlson Tadenuma  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Apr 3, 2010

Thank you, I meant just what you provided for me. You are very kind.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
Flemish to English
+ ...
None Apr 3, 2010

Why give discounts for Trados. They don't support that policy any longer? Buy an expensive tool, attend expensive classes to give discounts?

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:59
English to Norwegian
Depends on the customer. Apr 3, 2010

Williamson wrote: Why give discounts for Trados?

If you translate for end customers, Word is usually the only way an end customer has to verify your calculation.

If you work for agencies it is nice if you get away with a count based on Word. But you would usually be stuck with the Trados count, both because they know the tool, and because they may insist on some kind of discount based on equal segments.

Let us take a - not untypically - example:
I translate several users’ manuals, and they can have 60% to 80% repetitions. There is not a customer in the world that will accept full price and no discount; they will just take their business to another translator.

When it comes to discounts, this is the issue; either you give a discount or you lose the customer. And of course, only you can decide how much this particular customer is worth to you.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Irony on second thoughts Apr 3, 2010

Williamson wrote:

Why give discounts for Trados. They don't support that policy any longer? Buy an expensive tool, attend expensive classes to give discounts?

Per Magnus wrote:

When it comes to discounts, this is the issue; either you give a discount or you lose the customer. And of course, only you can decide how much this particular customer is worth to you.

I usually am inclined to give discounts on my own jobs, and not on jobs that come with legacy TM's, as the hat trick of many agencies reads as follows: "We do not pay 100% matches, but they must be checked thoroughly."

And by the way: what does "Trados" mean at all?

[Edited at 2010-04-03 09:48 GMT]

United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not quite Apr 3, 2010

Per Magnus wrote:

Williamson wrote: Why give discounts for Trados?

If you translate for end customers, Word is usually the only way an end customer has to verify your calculation.

If you work for agencies it is nice if you get away with a count based on Word. But you would usually be stuck with the Trados count, both because they know the tool, and because they may insist on some kind of discount based on equal segments.

Let us take a - not untypically - example:
I translate several users’ manuals, and they can have 60% to 80% repetitions. There is not a customer in the world that will accept full price and no discount; they will just take their business to another translator.

Not a customer in the world. I translated construction-specifications.

At the end of each chapter, there is one sentence, which occurs time and again.
But the end-customer was not an agency, but a construction firm.
They did not ask for reductions and I didn't offer them either.
On the budget of an office-building, which costs about 100 million euro, such reductions are peanuts. Giving discounts for every matching word f.e.: the description a specific tool being used or work-method is a waste of time. The other types of texts I prefer, don't lend themselves to discounts.CAT-tools benefit agencies, but don't benefit translators.
Take away discounts and some (like FT) would not even be around or had the chance to grow.
Would an interpreter who interprets the same word 10 times give discounts?

[Edited at 2010-04-03 10:05 GMT]

English to Norwegian
100% matches Apr 3, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
I usually am inclined to give discounts on my own jobs, and not on jobs that come with legacy TM's,

I agree with you on that. I have a clause saying that I charge 10% for segments that does not have to be checked and 30% for segments that has to be checked.

English to Norwegian
Identical sentences. Apr 3, 2010

Williamson wrote: Would an interpreter who interprets the same word 10 times give discounts?

Trados gives you identical sentences, not words, free.

An interpreter might give a discount if a computer produced the sentence for him, with no time or work involved. That is the case when Trados produces 100%’s that does not have to be checked.

United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Stakeholder Apr 3, 2010

Given that you operate as agency, you have an economic interest in discounts.
How much less would you earn if translators refused discounts.
Which is why I do not look so much for agency assignments. Better a round of cold calling or contact former fellow students, working at companies in different sectors.

Do I get Trados for free? If I attend a training, I wonder if that will be for free too?
Trados "gives" what some human brain has produced.
Whatever, when I get an offer with trados-discounts included, I politely refuse or offer to deliver without that segment.
I may be mistaken, but Sdlx does not make so much publicity any more for their discount-scheme.
Besides, for the use of other CAT-tools, nobody asks for discounts.

Do I have to give discounts because I use Dragon Dictate?
Whatever tool is a means to increase productivity and consistency, not a means to earn less. However you put it with the use of Trados, you work faster, but earn less.
In interpreting, there is no pennypinching.

[Edited at 2010-04-03 16:15 GMT]

Joanna Hald  Identity Verified
Poland
Danish to Polish
+ ...
Only on demand Apr 3, 2010

I use Trados-leveraged words only when my customer demands that I use Trados and present rates I agree with.
Once I got a job with many repetitions. I asked agency if they ask for discount, especialy because I will use CAT tool. They said no - "use what ever you want to, even your own furry cat - our client didn't asked for CAT, agreed to pay for every character and space, and we don't cheat our translators".

I use statistics in Trados to see how much do I save time/earn money compared to old times without any CAT...

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados count is not set in stone Apr 3, 2010

I guess it should be mentioned that there is not one Trados count. Both the percentages for 100% and fuzzy matches in Trados and the respective rate deductions may vary a lot - the former can be adjusted in Trados (as well as other CAT tools) and the latter can be set by translators for individual jobs (e.g. for repititions variations between 10 and 50 % are common).
There is not one presumed set of deductions, i.e. one used by many or most agencies. Moreover, other individually weighted factors come into play, such as whether or not a TM is provided etc.
See
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Determining_your_rates_and_fees_as_a_translator#Repetition_discounts

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/118504-is_it_normal_for_agencies_to_pay_by_the_reduced_source_word.html

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-03 23:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados-leveraged words

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search