Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Non-payer client in UK! What should I do?
Thread poster: Emin Arı

Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 13:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

I have a non-payer client in UK. She does not respond to my e-mails and I am fed up with sending unresponded e-mails. Any advice is wellcome!

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Do you have her phone number? Apr 5, 2010

I have sometimes found that a phone call will achieve a positive result when emails are ignored.
Failing that, there is a small claims court procedure in the UK, but I don't know the details of it.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Small claims Apr 5, 2010

The small claims website is here:
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
I've used it twice and got my money back both times. It's very simple and cheap, though I don't know whether people outside the UK can use it (I lived there until recently).
Have you posted a Blue Board entry? I recently got paid by a customer after more than a year - not because his conscience was pricking him, but because my entry (and other people's) were damaging his business.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-04-05 13:51 GMT]

Emin Arı  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 13:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no blue board entry Apr 5, 2010

philgoddard wrote:

Have you posted a Blue Board entry? I recently got paid by a customer after more than a year - not because his conscience was pricking him, but because my entry (and other people's) were damaging his business.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-04-05 13:51 GMT]

the translation agency has not a blueboard entry and I do not know if I could make an entry for this firm. any idea?

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Creating new Blue Board records Apr 5, 2010

If you cannot locate a Blue Board (BB) record for an outsourcer, you are welcome to create one and then make an entry. Note that, while access to reading a BB record is somewhat limited for non-paying profiles on ProZ.com, there is no such restriction regarding either creating BB records or entering an LWA (Likelihood to Work Again) in a BB record. And anyone who has entered an LWA will continue to have unlimited access to that record.

Here is the link for creating a new BB record:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb&action=add_outsourcer_form&sp_mode=add

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sometimes emails are not received Apr 5, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:
I have sometimes found that a phone call will achieve a positive result when emails are ignored.

I've found that if a client stops responding to emails it CAN be because there's some problem with that email account. I know that sometimes the sender is informed of non-delivery, but not always.

A phone call and/or an old-fashioned letter sent by post is always a good idea, and the latter (by registered post) is often a requirement before court action.

Good luch

Sheila

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 5, 2010

Actually, just threatening to post on BlueBoard might do the trick. Maybe I'm overestimating the power of ProZ, but I think BlueBoard is turning into a very useful credit rating and debt collection tool. My client kept pleading with me to remove my adverse entry, but it took him a long time to realise that the only way of achieving this was to pay his debt.

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
In the same case Apr 5, 2010

Good afternoon,

I am in the same case. Customer is not answering to my email (twice). I thought maybe he didn't receive them but I tested by another way and the email adress works.

How much emails do we have to send before going on the next step? When we can enter a BB?
( My invoice should be paid on the 31st of March).

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Sandrine: Apr 5, 2010

I wouldn't lose any sleep over an invoice that's five days late! And certainly don't do a BlueBoard entry yet.

Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
No response Apr 5, 2010

Thank you Phil for your answer.
I just worried because the customer is not answering to my email. and I think it is the first bad signs, isn't it? I wouldn't him to forget me!!icon_smile.gif

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Public holidays? Apr 5, 2010

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

I am in the same case. (....)
( My invoice should be paid on the 31st of March).

If by "the same case" you mean it is a UK customer, remember that Friday (2nd) and Monday (5th) April were both public holidays in the UK, so many (most?) non-retail businesses have not been working since Thursday...

Algeria
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I wanted to say... Apr 5, 2010

...that I am in the same case of a customer who doesn't pay my invoice.
I understand that 5 days late is nothing but the customer require a delivery date and time that we respect. So why the customer doesn't respect the deadline of invoice???

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Welcome to the translation business Apr 6, 2010

Sandrine Zérouali wrote:

...that I am in the same case of a customer who doesn't pay my invoice.
I understand that 5 days late is nothing but the customer require a delivery date and time that we respect. So why the customer doesn't respect the deadline of invoice???

This is our world! I did some work for a client in October, expected to get paid in December and they still haven't bothered.

We have to respect their crazy deadlines but don't expect them to pay in advance/quickly/on time - change your expectations!

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:46
French to German
+ ...
Crazy deadlines and requests Apr 6, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

This is our world! I did some work for a client in October, expected to get paid in December and they still haven't bothered.

We have to respect their crazy deadlines but don't expect them to pay in advance/quickly/on time - change your expectations!

No, we don't - actually I declined a job of some 10,000 words which "had to be done" within 24 hours (and that was an European customer!)... Making a long story short, I later discovered that the customer in question was under fire from their subcontractors. Guess why? Late payment and even non-payment.

[Edited at 2010-04-06 06:41 GMT]

Rifraf
Local time: 12:46
why change your expectations? Apr 6, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

They still haven't bothered???

You still haven't bothered them enough, I would say! But thats because you are willing to wait that long for your money; most of us would have done anything by now to get paid; I certainly wouldn't want to wait that long for my money!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-payer client in UK! What should I do?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search