Do you charge different rates for different document types?
Thread poster: autor

autor  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Hi,

Most agencies expect to pay the same rate, whatever the document - nicely ordered M/S Word document containing only text, poorly formatted PDF conversion, PowerPoint presentation full of tables, or even a barely legible PDF document.

I find that 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-friendly" format can take half the time to complete than 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-unfriendly" format.

Of course there is always the option of turning down the "slow" work, but I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Direct link Reply with quote

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
French to English
+ ...
Surcharges Apr 5, 2010

Yes, I apply a surcharge for Powerpoint documents or pdf files involving a lot of conversion work. It's amazing how soon clients come up with a Word file when they know you apply a surcharge!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, not really Apr 5, 2010

autor wrote:
I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Because of CAT, it doesn't take me longer to translate a complex PowerPoint file than a simple MS Word file. I do, however, tell clients that I can't guarantee formatting preserved when it comes to more complex formats. Luckily I get very few PDF files for translation and I'm able to get away with charging the same rate for it even if I need to reformat it.

xxxAguas de Mar
Just like Claire Apr 5, 2010

A surcharge for converting PDFs into Word to be able to work on them. And if the job takes longer than an hour, they I charge by the hour.

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I do take it into account Apr 5, 2010

I work mostly for direct clients and therefore am not locked as much into a "usual" or "agreed upon" rate. Instead, I usually get sent the document before making a cost estimate. When making the cost estimate, I do of course consider the difficulty that the file format will pose - just as I consider the overall difficulty of the text or the number of repetitions. The overall price I charge generally reflects the amount of time I expect to spend on the translation.

However, when working for a client that has a "regular" rate, I would probably hesitate to charge extra for the document type unless it is truly horrible and will slow me down significantly (e.g. barely legible handwriting or a huge PowerPoint-file).

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Do you charge different rates for different document types? Apr 5, 2010

autor wrotenear the doubics is le:

Hi,

Most agencies expect to pay the same rate, whatever the document - nicely ordered M/S Word document containing only text, poorly formatted PDF conversion, PowerPoint presentation full of tables, or even a barely legible PDF document.

I find that 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-friendly" format can take half the time to complete than 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-unfriendly" format.

Of course there is always the option of turning down the "slow" work, but I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Yes, I charge near the double for complex file formats like pdf or graphics. I have two reasons to do that:

a) The client will not be too lazy to send a pdf saying to me he does not know the password and so far, if he has the file in the original format as this will save him 50 % of the translation cost.

b) To translate graphics is even more uncertain. You never know how much time you will need, neither if the graphic seems more to an onion (has a lot of layers) as to a manageable graphical format. Doubling the price ensure me at least to be able to write down the time I invested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge different rates for different document types?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search