Do you charge different rates for different document types?
Thread poster: autor

autor  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2010

Hi,

Most agencies expect to pay the same rate, whatever the document - nicely ordered M/S Word document containing only text, poorly formatted PDF conversion, PowerPoint presentation full of tables, or even a barely legible PDF document.

I find that 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-friendly" format can take half the time to complete than 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-unfriendly" format.

Of course there is always the option of turning down the "slow" work, but I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
French to English
+ ...
Surcharges Apr 5, 2010

Yes, I apply a surcharge for Powerpoint documents or pdf files involving a lot of conversion work. It's amazing how soon clients come up with a Word file when they know you apply a surcharge!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, not really Apr 5, 2010

autor wrote:
I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Because of CAT, it doesn't take me longer to translate a complex PowerPoint file than a simple MS Word file. I do, however, tell clients that I can't guarantee formatting preserved when it comes to more complex formats. Luckily I get very few PDF files for translation and I'm able to get away with charging the same rate for it even if I need to reformat it.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Just like Claire Apr 5, 2010

A surcharge for converting PDFs into Word to be able to work on them. And if the job takes longer than an hour, they I charge by the hour.

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I do take it into account Apr 5, 2010

I work mostly for direct clients and therefore am not locked as much into a "usual" or "agreed upon" rate. Instead, I usually get sent the document before making a cost estimate. When making the cost estimate, I do of course consider the difficulty that the file format will pose - just as I consider the overall difficulty of the text or the number of repetitions. The overall price I charge generally reflects the amount of time I expect to spend on the translation.

However, when working for a client that has a "regular" rate, I would probably hesitate to charge extra for the document type unless it is truly horrible and will slow me down significantly (e.g. barely legible handwriting or a huge PowerPoint-file).

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Do you charge different rates for different document types? Apr 5, 2010

autor wrotenear the doubics is le:

Hi,

Most agencies expect to pay the same rate, whatever the document - nicely ordered M/S Word document containing only text, poorly formatted PDF conversion, PowerPoint presentation full of tables, or even a barely legible PDF document.

I find that 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-friendly" format can take half the time to complete than 1,000 "words" in the most "translator-unfriendly" format.

Of course there is always the option of turning down the "slow" work, but I wonder if anyone else regularly manages to to apply a scale of charges.

Yes, I charge near the double for complex file formats like pdf or graphics. I have two reasons to do that:

a) The client will not be too lazy to send a pdf saying to me he does not know the password and so far, if he has the file in the original format as this will save him 50 % of the translation cost.

b) To translate graphics is even more uncertain. You never know how much time you will need, neither if the graphic seems more to an onion (has a lot of layers) as to a manageable graphical format. Doubling the price ensure me at least to be able to write down the time I invested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge different rates for different document types?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search