Thread poster: philippid

philippid  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:28
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

I have quoted with a per word price on a job with a stated fixed budget, which was then accepted.

I then issued an invoice an a per word basis for target words.

The agency is insisting on the original budget, which is far below the rate acceptable to me.

How do I proceed? Are there any means of mediation/escalation on Proz?

Thanks for your attention.

Direct link Reply with quote

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:28
English to German
P.O. / Order Confirmation? Apr 8, 2010

Didn't you receive any order confirmation or regular P.O.? Usually, you are asked to quote your price, then the agency/company confirms it (in writing) or denies it. Or you are asked to accept a given price for a project, you accept or deny and then receive a P.O. or order confirmation.

If an agency/customer does not send such a document, I send them an order confirmation stating all the details once more and ask for confirmation. So, misunderstandings can be avoided.

Good luck!

Annett

United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
P.O. Apr 8, 2010

Thanks, no we did not confirm order details, I have now suggested an amicable settlement which the agency does not seem best pleased with..

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Your fault, your blame. Apr 9, 2010

Personally, when I make a mistake, I pay the price. In this case, it seems to be manageable. Of course, if it cost you, for instance more than USD 1000, you may want to negotiate.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Confused Apr 9, 2010

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean:

philippid wrote:

I have quoted with a per word price on a job with a stated fixed budget, which was then accepted.

I then issued an invoice an a per word basis for target words.

The agency is insisting on the original budget, which is far below the rate acceptable to me.

You quoted a price per word on a fixed budget and then issued an invoice on target words?

How can you have a fixed budget and the invoice on target, fixed means it does not change but you can never know the target word count till job is finished?

Can you clarify what you did exactly?

United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Apr 10, 2010

The job - fixed number or words with a certain "budget" (which I apparently failed to spot)

My quote - usual price per word

My quote was accepted, so I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding. Naturally agency is insisting on fixed sum..

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Charging per target word Apr 10, 2010

The fact that you are charging the agency per target word seems to be the cause of the confusion - I don't think I ever came across an agency that was happy for me to quote per target word, and that's understandable. Clients want to know ahead of the job how much it's going to cost them - not be surprised by the fact that the target text has something like 30% more words (which often happens, e.g when translating Arabic to English, which uses a lot more words).

United Kingdom
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
target words Apr 10, 2010

Thanks for your analysis Nesrin,

the actual issue is that the agency thought they are paying fixed rate - at bottom-feeder prices I might add - whilst I thought I would be paid per word as specified in my quote.

Whilst I misinterpreted the tender, the agency clearly accepted the wrong quote..

Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:28
English to Russian
+ ...
options Apr 10, 2010

I think there is nothing you can do about it, I am afraid, unless you had quoted on the job before the changes to the job system were implemented. If this is the case, a budget is usually stated as a range, and an outsourcer can not pretend they did not notice your price because they need to go through every quote to pick up the most suitable one. However, if the budget was given in the body of the job posting, say USD 500, the agency has absolute freedom not to accept your invoice. They clearly stated their budget, and it is not their fault you overlooked the information. I think you should be more careful next time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misunderstanding - tender versus quotation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search