Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
3 passed due POs but they still ask me to work more.
Thread poster: aiaiushi

aiaiushi
United States
Local time: 15:58
Japanese
Apr 14, 2010

I have 3 passed due POs from one company and I keep e-mailing to their payment department but they never get back to me. Now demanding PMs are asking me to work more and more while none of the payment hasn't come to me in 2010. I keep working for them but am getting fed up by demanding PMs with no payments. Should I talk to PMs about not getting paid though it's not their division/fault?

I have no idea what to do with this non-payment situation because it never happened to me before and I've worked with them since 2008 and I had no problem with them. It's not like I can just let it pass, it's over $1,000 matter...

Miguel Garcia Lopez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:58
English to French
+ ...
Do you work for free? Apr 14, 2010

megumi203 wrote:

I have 3 passed due POs from one company and I keep e-mailing to their payment department but they never get back to me. Now demanding PMs are asking me to work more and more while none of the payment hasn't come to me in 2010. I keep working for them but am getting fed up by demanding PMs with no payments. Should I talk to PMs about not getting paid though it's not their division/fault?

I have no idea what to do with this non-payment situation because it never happened to me before and I've worked with them since 2008 and I had no problem with them. It's not like I can just let it pass, it's over $1,000 matter...

Require them your payment before starting a New PO, except if you are an NGO

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Miguel Apr 14, 2010

Unless you have some solid reason to believe that you will soon be paid, you are really asking for trouble if you continue to work for them. I'm sure they would not be happy if you delivered your translations a few weeks after the agreed-upon deadline.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
This does not put a good light on them Apr 14, 2010

This does not put a good light on them neither would it do on you if you would not answer their emails regarding new jobs. As they are obviously depending on you and your good work I would instead try with silence the next time they will send to you a new job.
Silence can sometimes bring wonders - there is no doubt that the telephone will ring up faster as you can imagine.icon_smile.gif

Another way is to pick up the phone and call them to clear up front the mist around your money matter.
Insist on beeing paid for at least the first two jobs, and point out that according to their behaviour you are not sure any more that they are able to pay, and therefore you are playing with the idea to stop translating for them.
In my eyes it does not make any sense to do a job for someone who is not cabable of showing up beeing a good businessman.

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Stop working for them Apr 14, 2010

If you are a freelancer and they are an agency, they cannot "demand" you work for them. I would certainly not accept any more projects from them until the pay you what they already owe. And even then I would steer well clear; they seem extremely unprofessional to me.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Please do a BlueBoard entry Apr 14, 2010

You owe it to your fellow translators, and it can also be a good way of getting paid.

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
I've waited until the bad payer Apr 15, 2010

called me with an urgent job and then explained why I wouldn't work for them until they sent me money.

I've even taken a job "hostage" once. Took the job, did the translation and then waited for them to call me asking where the translation was. Then I explained to them that they could have the translation if they sent me money (and faxed me a copy of the check or other mains of payment).

Not the most dignified way, but it worked. And what do you have to lose? They probably won't pay you if you don't resort to such practices. And you wouldn't want to keep working for them anyway.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
Password-protect the file ;-) Apr 15, 2010

Benno Groeneveld wrote:
called me with an urgent job and then explained why I wouldn't work for them until they sent me money.

If you've got to the point where your relations with the company aren't so vital, then a more dignified way of doing this would be to tell them you'll start the translation but then deliver it in a password-protected zip. When the money is sitting in your bank account, you'll tell them the password...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hm... Apr 15, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:
If you've got to the point where your relations with the company aren't so vital, then a more dignified way of doing this would be to tell them you'll start the translation but then deliver it in a password-protected zip. When the money is sitting in your bank account, you'll tell them the password...

Great idea! The only problem with it is that you do the work... potentially for free if they decide not to pay!icon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If everything went OK since 2008.... Apr 15, 2010

....and they have been paying on time since then, I'd say that you should keep working, but make a very firm statement that you need the POs for reassurance. Express this to the project managers directly so that they can chase the POs for you. There could be some confusion or email problems with your account in the payment department.

If this has been a good customer of yours for 2 years, chances are that they will continue to be in the future. Why don't you call them and try to talk to the payment person to express your concerns and insist that you need the POs for your peace of mind?

Edited to add this: At any moment in time, I can have anything from 2 to 10 pending POs from my usual customers. They are good customers but PMs are always very busy. I know for sure that as soon as I need the PO to issue my invoice on delivered jobs, they will issue one immediately.

[Edited at 2010-04-15 05:39 GMT]

aiaiushi
United States
Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Contacted my PM Apr 15, 2010

I just contacted one of my PM and she was nice and told me she is going to help me out (fingers crossed!!). I sent her all my evidences including the solid proof I successfully submitted my POs. If it won't work, then I can try the "hostage" plan like others told me or try to find their phone number. We are only freelancers..., they might just say "OK then." and just hire another person... But anything is worth a try for over $1,000!

I will keep updating my situation.

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No pay, no work Apr 15, 2010

If you don't work, you don't get paid.
If they don't pay, you shouldn't do any work.
Tell the PM's they better lean on their accounts people if they ever want a translation from you again. Also tell them that if you don't receive payment within two weeks, you're going to a) issue a bad BlueBoard entry b) consult your lawyer about legal action.

IMHO, this is the only reasonable course of action. Even if the client has been a good client for many years. They aren't a good client anymore, and nobody needs bad clients. Period.

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Stop now Apr 15, 2010

I've only skimmed this thread so I apologise if I've got the wrong end of the stick but you don't specify how overdue these 3 payments are. You do, however, say that you haven't yet got paid in 2010. I believe there are several businesses out there struggling to stay afloat and we should ALL be cautious. The fact that you've been working for them since 2008 unfortunately means little in these hard times. I have been translating since 1993 and never had a problem with an invoice not being paid until February of this year and that was with an agency in Denmark I'd done over 50 jobs for dating back to 2006. Unfortunately you can't rely on goodwill in these difficult times.
So, yes, explain to the PMs that you cannot accept any more work until their accounts department has the courtesy to reply to you and settle your invoices. Until that happens put your energy instead into finding another client.

[Edited at 2010-04-15 08:30 GMT]

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Even if they have been good payers in the past... Apr 15, 2010

This is no guarantee that they will continue to be so.

I like the password protected zip idea, but if you want to be less "aggressive", request at least an explanation for why they haven't paid you - this is only common courtesy after all. And if they are in trouble, ask for a payment schedule, if you think they are decent folks. I've got a customer who is in this situation and they have at least been open about it all and are paying me bit by bit.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 passed due POs but they still ask me to work more.

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search