Thread poster: fidaa2007

fidaa2007
Jordan
Local time: 19:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

Hi,
Anyone can tell me what are the phone interpreting rates, per min/h?

Thanks
Fidaa

Direct link Reply with quote

Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just got an offer Apr 16, 2010

I am not sure it's the same job, but just a seconds ago I got an offer from Russian company; they offered me a flat rate $5 per call, saying that call is usually no longer than 2-3 minutes.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:09
English to Slovak
+ ...
Depends... Apr 16, 2010

...whether it is a regular job or one-off. Here, in the UK, agencies are offering anything between 25 to 40 pence per minute. If it is a one-off job, you should negotiate - I did 3 minutes call for a flat rate of £20. Good luck.

Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
5-30 calls a day Apr 16, 2010

That's what they told me: I might get 5-30 calls a day.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:09
English to German
+ ...
I don't think that this is phone interpreting... Apr 16, 2010

Egils Turks wrote:

This rather sounds like being a call center.

Phone interpreting means that there is a scheduled phone conference (usually on short notice), and you will be the interpreter - very often between medical doctor and foreign patient. Such calls can last an hour or longer, and it is highly exhausting. 30 calls a day? - no, that is a different job, certainly not phone interpreting.

Depends of the company and the state where you live Apr 17, 2010

That was my case; I worked for LL , live in California. I wss paid the minimum wage 8.25 up per hour.

Plus after the 31 minute on one call, the start paying you 25 cents per each additional minute.

Calls are all different , cell phone companies, utilities, jails, school districts, inmigration and other law enforcemen agencies, etc.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
You must be kidding. Apr 18, 2010

aztec70 wrote:

That was my case; I worked for LL , live in California. I wss paid the minimum wage 8.25 up per hour.

Plus after the 31 minute on one call, the start paying you 25 cents per each additional minute.

Calls are all different , cell phone companies, utilities, jails, school districts, inmigration and other law enforcemen agencies, etc.

Why on earth would any linguist in the United States work at minimum wage? It looks like somebody took you for a ride and you fell for it. Sorry.

I have been beleaguered by a (very nice and professional, BTW) company. I was curious, attended my classes, learned a lot, passed all the exams. They loved my voice. I declined. Why? I was not willing to learn approx. 1500 medical terms. I do not touch medical translation - firstly because I don't have a glue about such things and therefore I do not wish to harm a person accidentally, - secondly, out of respect for the true professionals in medical translation. - thirdly, because they only offered 65 cents / minute. That's only US $39.00 per hour.

You get my drift.

Greetings,

Nicole

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2010-04-18 09:37 GMT]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:09
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Phone interpreting Apr 18, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Egils Turks wrote:

This rather sounds like being a call center.

Phone interpreting means that there is a scheduled phone conference (usually on short notice), and you will be the interpreter - very often between medical doctor and foreign patient. Such calls can last an hour or longer, and it is highly exhausting. 30 calls a day? - no, that is a different job, certainly not phone interpreting.

Phone interpreting does not necessarily means a scheduled phone conference. You may be thinking only of medical interpreting, and those are often pre-arranged, but it depends entirely who are the clients of the service provider. The clients can be the police, ambulance, immigration, various local authority departments - particularly social services and educational services, job centres, hospitals, doctors, insurance companies, commercial clients like banks, travel agents, manufacturing companies, service providers, etc.
In other words, the variety is enormous, and yes, you can get 30 calls a day, or more. The length of the call can be two minutes or four hours and anything in between. And for that reason, I would never accept a flat rate from a genuine telephone interpreting service, but it is unlikely that they would try to offer it anyway.

xxxJ Celeita  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I did this for a while May 17, 2010

here in the US, and was getting paid $10 an hour regardless of call volume.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phone interpreting rates

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search