Average salary for an in-house translator position in Belgium
Thread poster: Maria Soto

Maria Soto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

Hello,

I would like to know which is the average salary for an in-house translator in Belgium. The company would not be based in Brussels but very close to it (I imagine the location counts as well).

They asked me for my salary expectations and I have no clue. I was thinking about 2300 €/month (gross salary). I have 1 year and a half experience as in-house and 2 as freelance.

I don't wanna ask for too much but obviously I dont wanna say a very low figure!

Thanks a lot for your help!

María

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
In Belgium.... Apr 16, 2010

In Belgium: 2300 euro gross means 1245 Euros net.
If you have to pay rent in Brussels and surroundings it is about 600 Euros.
Count a cost of living of about 400-500 Euros (without a car).
Net result: ??

In Belgium, I am afraid, the location does not count.
The Belgian economy is divided in Joint Committees, which are numbered according to the sector in which a person works.
Every employee is paid according to the collective labour agreement which has been convened between employers and employees' representatives, when signing a joint labour agreement.
How much you will earn, depends under which committee translation agencies resort and how your function is described.
Better contact the trade-unions. They have lists of how much you should be paid.

[Edited at 2010-04-16 17:18 GMT]

Maria Soto  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Apr 16, 2010

Thanks a lot!!! I will do as you told me... contact the trade unions.
I said 2300 because checking one of those websites where you can find out the average salary of a profession, that is what I got... But the truth is that with all the expenses, you are right... I dont think I would have enough.

Thanks again!!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Just like Belgium. Apr 17, 2010

Si puedes leer el francés: http://www.csc-en-ligne.be/
In Belgium +50% of a salary goes to the state. Freelancers too have to pay a hefty tax.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
that is brutal Apr 17, 2010

The numerical example you gave means that net is 55% of gross. To think that I was accusing my own government of greed!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average salary for an in-house translator position in Belgium

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search