what would be a reasonable rate per page for legal document translation
Thread poster: Adriana Johnston

Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 24, 2010

I have a prospect client who has contacted me to translate some legal documents Englid to Spanish, to be more percise, some petition for separation and divorce documents, and several other appendix; some of the context in the pages are long and highly technical, others contain short 1-2 parragraphs and others are repetative with a few word changes.

My questions are how much could I charge per page(if this is the best way), and what is the reasonable amount of time I can tell my client this translation project of about 30 pages would take to complete.

Thank you all in advance for your responses

Direct link Reply with quote

FinnTrans
United States
Local time: 22:57
Finnish to English
+ ...
Legal translation rates Apr 24, 2010

I generally charge by the hour as often you may need to research legal terms and concepts that may be very time consuming. Thus, word rate is not fair. Also often certain legal terms may not exist in another language and you will need to explain the concept by other means, which again may be time consuming.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You are outsourcing, right? Apr 25, 2010

Based on your profile page and resume may I assume you are planning on outsourcing this job? (Your experience and line of business seems to be medical interpreting, and this job - based on your description - would require a different set of expertise.)

In this case, you may want to post it as a potential job, with as much information as possible, or search the directory for qualified translators and ask them for quotes on the job - this way you can quote to your client and make your translator selection as well.

However, be aware of the risks of outsourcing.
There were three threads recently discussing problems that seems to be all too common these days with people outsourcing for the first time, or without proper risk management, including due diligence.
Here are the links to those threads:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/162452-outsourced_translation_bad_quality.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/163468-paying_for_a_translation_containing_many_mistakes_and_mistranslations.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/162422-how_to_tell_a_freelancer_i_had_to_fix_or_redo_50_80_of_their_work_and_how_much_to_pay.html

If you don't feel comfortable with all these risks and the steps you need to take to mitigate them, you can always refer your client to a colleague with the right expertise, and they can make the arrangements themselves.

I hope this helps
Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what would be a reasonable rate per page for legal document translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search