How would you advise handling this bank transfer problem?
Thread poster: Ebru Kopf
Ebru Kopf
Ebru Kopf  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

Hello everyone,

I need a help on a matter that happened to me for the first time. I had given a job two translators for two different pairs. I paid one of them in his/her own country (EU) and the other in Egypt on the same day. After a while he sent a mail saying that he did not receive the money. I have sent the payment slip, it didn't work for him, and than I have sent the SWIFT message of my bank.

Since 2 weeks he tells me that still the money is not arrived. I hav
... See more
Hello everyone,

I need a help on a matter that happened to me for the first time. I had given a job two translators for two different pairs. I paid one of them in his/her own country (EU) and the other in Egypt on the same day. After a while he sent a mail saying that he did not receive the money. I have sent the payment slip, it didn't work for him, and than I have sent the SWIFT message of my bank.

Since 2 weeks he tells me that still the money is not arrived. I have called his bank in Egypt and they don't tell much plus I don't understand their dialect well, than I called other swift correspondant banks in EU plus my bank again to communicate with the correspondance bank in parallel (they call it ABAKUS) for whereabouts of that money, since I have that amount less in my account plus the taxes of Swift transfer.

Yesterday, he sent me another mail saying that he did the work (which I agree anyway) and now wants the money again and gives another account number, this time an EU territory which I asked in the first place and he rejected for tax reasons, and says now this is not his problem and I have to transfer again. That's sure, now it is my problem. I don't want to pay again before learning what happened to the money, and for sure I don't wanna pay double!

I have no idea what to do, really. Please advise.
Collapse

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 03:27
English to Hindi
+ ...
No need to pay twice Apr 28, 2010

Hi Ebru,

In this case; as you have sent swift massage of you bank to the person; You should make him clear that, already you have send the payment, unless the amount deducted from your account for there payment don't get canceled, you are not making another payment.

Send mail to your banker about transaction, also send a mail to payees banker (with keeping payee in CC).

No payer makes double payment to payee unless they are wel
... See more
Hi Ebru,

In this case; as you have sent swift massage of you bank to the person; You should make him clear that, already you have send the payment, unless the amount deducted from your account for there payment don't get canceled, you are not making another payment.

Send mail to your banker about transaction, also send a mail to payees banker (with keeping payee in CC).

No payer makes double payment to payee unless they are well familiar with each other.

Regards,

Sushan
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:57
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hum. Apr 28, 2010

It sounds like an inconvenient situation, but you have your receipt and all the evidence that the money had been transferred.

You said you had phoned the Egyptian recipient bank, but have you talked again with your bank regarding the matter? Phone or visit them ( the international payment department), report the case and ask them if it's possible that the money could be stuck or lost somewhere ( I have never heard of money being lost in wire transfer; it's supposed to be the safest
... See more
It sounds like an inconvenient situation, but you have your receipt and all the evidence that the money had been transferred.

You said you had phoned the Egyptian recipient bank, but have you talked again with your bank regarding the matter? Phone or visit them ( the international payment department), report the case and ask them if it's possible that the money could be stuck or lost somewhere ( I have never heard of money being lost in wire transfer; it's supposed to be the safest way to transfer money)

Anyway, I wouldn't advise you to re-transfer a new sum, in any case. Re-check everything at your own bank; they may contact necessary banks to inspect the case.
Collapse

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Don't pay again Apr 28, 2010

Please, stay calm and don't pay again.
As you obviously have your paying-in slip of any sort and all the SWIFT details on it you do not have to worry. You have done your homework.
Tell him that he should sort out things with his bank in Egypt on his own and wait what happens.
Have a nice cup of tea and relax.
This happened to us as well and we were confident enough not to panic.
And we were successful!

Have a nice an relaxed day!

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:57
English to French
+ ...
Don't pay again ! Apr 28, 2010

Hello,

You just have to check with your bank that the money got to his bank.

Then if you are sure 100% and you can prove it to him, he has to contact his bank and find where his money is...

You already did your part ! Why would you pay twice ?!

As long as the problem isn't on your part you should explain kindly that he needs to make an effort and to check with his bank where his money is !

Cheers !

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
Danish to English
A similar experience Apr 28, 2010

I recently made a bank transfer from a Danish bank to my own bank account in the US. I had put my wife's name down as the recepient, as it was money for her. But her name was not on the account, so the payment got stuck for days, and finally sent back, for which I was charged a huge fee.
So be SURE at least that you have the full and correct name of the person you are sending money to. Maybe that was part of the problem?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Cup of tea^^ Apr 28, 2010

sivara wrote:

Please, stay calm and don't pay again.
As you obviously have your paying-in slip of any sort and all the SWIFT details on it you do not have to worry. You have done your homework.
Tell him that he should sort out things with his bank in Egypt on his own and wait what happens.
Have a nice cup of tea and relax.
This happened to us as well and we were confident enough not to panic.
And we were successful!

Have a nice an relaxed day!

Cup of tea certainly works... Nevertheless it should be documented that the receiving bank had indeed received the transfer.
Other than that, do not worry.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe your freelancer is as smart as I am (cough, cough...) Apr 28, 2010

Last week I sent a reminder to a client in a foreign country. They insisted that the amount was paid per wire transfer.

And so it was.

I had mistaken the amount (listed on my bank statement after deduction of the incoming wire fee and only identified with several hieroglyphic lines of numbers and letters) for another payment that I was expecting from another client...).

I am an idiot, and I am soooo embarrased.

See more
Last week I sent a reminder to a client in a foreign country. They insisted that the amount was paid per wire transfer.

And so it was.

I had mistaken the amount (listed on my bank statement after deduction of the incoming wire fee and only identified with several hieroglyphic lines of numbers and letters) for another payment that I was expecting from another client...).

I am an idiot, and I am soooo embarrased.

Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Did you send the MT103? Apr 28, 2010

It is not unusual for bank transfers to get "stuck" somewhere, in my previous life I had a lot of experience with this. Usually it is the intermediary bank that failed to press a button, or else the money has gone to the recipient bank but that bank has failed to credit it to the right account, sometimes the money is lying around on a temporary account...

First of all, don't pay again.

There are two things you should do:

- Have your own bank trace the paym
... See more
It is not unusual for bank transfers to get "stuck" somewhere, in my previous life I had a lot of experience with this. Usually it is the intermediary bank that failed to press a button, or else the money has gone to the recipient bank but that bank has failed to credit it to the right account, sometimes the money is lying around on a temporary account...

First of all, don't pay again.

- Have your own bank trace the payment and send you written confirmation that was it was handled correctly

- Get the copy of the "MT103 report" from your own bank, I am not sure if this is what you mean you already sent to your freelancer, the report has all the bank codes and shows all the information related to the payment. You will see lines starting with numbers like 51, 52 ... send this report to the recipient who then needs to start a claim with their own bank.

Every time this has happened to me, it has always been sorted out with the MT103 report.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
German to English
+ ...
Double-check all the information Apr 28, 2010

This has happened to me twice - one in either direction. The first time my client wrote my name on the payment slip rather than my business name. The bank wouldn't credit the payment even though I'm the only signatory on the account. The payment had to be recalled and resent, I think.

The second time I sent a payment to Mexico and used the same exact payment information I had used before successfully. Turned out the bank now wanted an extended account no. (instead of the shorter acc
... See more
This has happened to me twice - one in either direction. The first time my client wrote my name on the payment slip rather than my business name. The bank wouldn't credit the payment even though I'm the only signatory on the account. The payment had to be recalled and resent, I think.

The second time I sent a payment to Mexico and used the same exact payment information I had used before successfully. Turned out the bank now wanted an extended account no. (instead of the shorter account number, which was still valid), so that had to be corrected before the payment could go through.

In my experience, these matters have to be sorted out by the sending bank. The receiving bank can't do much except tell you what information it needs for the payment to go through, although that could be key information, as above.

Good luck sorting this out!

[Edited at 2010-04-28 22:17 GMT]
Collapse

Ebru Kopf
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Apr 29, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

- Have your own bank trace the payment and send you written confirmation that was it was handled correctly

*They are on it; and they have already started to check with others...

- Get the copy of the "MT103 report" from your own bank, I am not sure if this is what you mean you already sent to your freelancer, the report has all the bank codes and shows all the information related to the payment. You will see lines starting with numbers like 51, 52 ... send this report to the recipient who then needs to start a claim with their own bank.

**MT103 is what I call SWIFT message, I always keep it and if someone wants I send it to them.

Every time this has happened to me, it has always been sorted out with the MT103 report.

Ebru Kopf
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have done all possible thing Apr 29, 2010

First of all, thank you everyone for the answers and especially the one with a cup of tea, it really worked!

The information on the MT103 or Swift Message; all the information entered is correct.
My bank already started to communicate with the banks that are all involved in between and also I don't think that the money can be lost. I also agree and think that the bank in between has forgotten to initiate transf
... See more
First of all, thank you everyone for the answers and especially the one with a cup of tea, it really worked!

The information on the MT103 or Swift Message; all the information entered is correct.
My bank already started to communicate with the banks that are all involved in between and also I don't think that the money can be lost. I also agree and think that the bank in between has forgotten to initiate transfer; it' not a million Euros in the end Another possibility is;this money is in Egypt and they didn't accounted yet (most likely).

When I tell the guy that he has to follow, he just (imaginery here) waves his hand and says this is not his problem, that is the part I was irritated. I am waiting now for my telephone bill and I can assure you that bill will be higher than his payment

I hope I will get an answer from my bank this week. And now after all these answers for sure I am not gonna pay double, until it is clear what happened.

Thanks everyone, you all cheered me up!
Collapse

Ebru Kopf
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally! Apr 29, 2010

The investigation is over!!! My good Lord!

So, for the sake of the forum I tell you what the answer is:

Internal communique of the banks the reply says that the money I have transferred arrived the next day (04.02.10) in his account not as 132 Eur but as 82 Eur. His bank deducted their own comm. which is not my problem since I have paid separately my commission.

Now, I think I shall send him my telephone invoice too...
See more
The investigation is over!!! My good Lord!

So, for the sake of the forum I tell you what the answer is:

Internal communique of the banks the reply says that the money I have transferred arrived the next day (04.02.10) in his account not as 132 Eur but as 82 Eur. His bank deducted their own comm. which is not my problem since I have paid separately my commission.

Now, I think I shall send him my telephone invoice too

Have a nice and fruitful days folks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How would you advise handling this bank transfer problem?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »