Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Same client, similar documents
Thread poster: EBracco

EBracco
Argentina
Local time: 15:28
Apr 28, 2010

Hello everybody. Please forgive if this discussion is in another post already. I did search and could not find anything (if there is another similar post, I will appreciate your providing the link) Thanks!

I translated a 30,000 words document 1 months ago (a machine). The same client is sending me a very similar document (similar product), almost identical, with only very little changes "hidden" along the entire document. Changes are part numbers, addition of some short paragraphs, short notes, etc. The client doesn't know exactly in how many things this second document differs from the first one. I have to read carefully the whole document and spot the changes.
My question is: I have to send a quotation to the client for the translation of this other document, taking into account that it is another machine model but 90% similar to the one I had already translated.

How should I charge this job? Should I charge only a percentage of the first one?
Thanks!

FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:28
French to English
+ ...
Offer value for their money Apr 28, 2010

Tell them you have a TM that contains much of the needed vocabulary and are in this case able to offer them a 50% discount.

You save time, they save money, everyone is happy.

Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:28
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
same situation today Apr 28, 2010

today I was offered a 5,000 words translation. It was very similar to the one I made for the same clients around 3 months ago.
The matter is that I will have to view the whole documents. In the end I applied a small discount. Everyone is happy.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:28
French to German
+ ...
Hourly rate for modifications. EOM. Apr 28, 2010

Nothing to add - and HTH.

Guideline: be honest to your client, it always pays - if only for you and your reputation.

[Edited at 2010-04-28 17:20 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
you need to start using a cat tool Apr 28, 2010

Vincenzo Di Maso wrote:

today I was offered a 5,000 words translation. It was very similar to the one I made for the same clients around 3 months ago.
The matter is that I will have to view the whole documents. In the end I applied a small discount. Everyone is happy.

Its not a discount you have offered - its a guesstimate of what it takes you to do the job,l based on the previous work done for the same client. Plus the profit (g).

Using a cat tool (I suggest the free OmegaT) you can determine exactly how much extra work is involved. And how much profit you may be making.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2010-04-28 17:25 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Yep Apr 28, 2010

Vito Smolej wrote:
Its not a discount you have offered - its a guesstimate of what it takes you to do the job,l based on the previous work done for the same client. Plus the profit (g).

Using a cat tool (I suggest the free OmegaT) you can determine exactly how much extra work is involved. And how much profit you may be making.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2010-04-28 17:25 GMT]

You are not offering (oh, HIHTW) discount - you are merely revising a document. And yes Victor, OmegaT is a great TEnt - thanks for contributing!

EBracco
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Every 2 or 3 paragraphs Apr 28, 2010

every two or three paragraphs there is a change in numbers, pieces, and every 4 or 5 pages there is a short new paragraph as a "Note".
I will have to read carefully everything, since there are so many numbers (as part numbers) that may change, and I understand how negative it could be to leave numbers unchanged.
Someone told me I could charge a 20% of the previous job done. I find that quite fair, but I honestly do not know if that is ok or not.
thans for sharing your thoughts ..and experience!!!!

let's see what others add..

France
French to German
+ ...
Nothing more to add... Apr 28, 2010

EBracco wrote:

let's see what others add..

as charging a fair hourly rate.

EBracco
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
small discount Apr 28, 2010

Vincenzo Di Maso wrote:

what would "a small discount" be? (in percentage, aprox.)

thanks

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:28
English to Slovak
+ ...
Agree but also disagree with the above. Apr 28, 2010

Discuss it with your client. There is no doubt your client's going to charge their client full price, so why should you only charge your hourly rate for the work done?
I have a client who provides translation services to both local authorities and solicitors representing defendant/respondent. I get some files (large ones) which I have already translated and I'm always honest about it. We usually come to some mutual agreement.

EBracco
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
direct client Apr 28, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:

There is no doubt your client's going to charge their client full price, so why should you only charge your hourly rate for the work done?

Hi Rad,
This is not for a translation agency. The translation is for the machine vendor

France
French to German
+ ...
Agreement & negotiation: Apr 28, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:

Discuss it with your client. There is no doubt your client's going to charge their client full price, so why should you only charge your hourly rate for the work done?
I have a client who provides translation services to both local authorities and solicitors representing defendant/respondent. I get some files (large ones) which I have already translated and I'm always honest about it. We usually come to some mutual agreement.

keywords...

Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Compare documents in Word - Analyse with CAT tool Apr 28, 2010

Can you compare the documents in Word? You'll see exactly what has changed and you can estimate how long it will take you. Or align the 1 st original text with your translation, then analyse the 2nd text with a CAT tool, you'll see exactly how many TUs are exact matches, how many are fuzzies, etc. then charge according to a scale you think is fair.

J.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
An important reason to use a CAT tool Apr 28, 2010

For a number of years I performed revisions to a lengthy manual that I originally translated. The changes in any given revision ranged from 1-2 new words in a section, deleted text or entire new paragraphs. I was able to feed the "new" document into my CAT tool and immediately see the differences. Normally the new text amounted to a few hundred words.

I charged the client for one hour of my time, plus the word rate for the new text. We were both happy with the result.

In the meantime, try using the "Compare documents" feature in Word to see some of the differences. This may or may not help.

Another more complicated but potentially more useful solution would be to download a demo of one of the more common CAT tools (OmegaT, DVX, MemoQ, etc.), and use the alignment tool to create a translation memory. That is, you will match the source and target sentences of your original document to create a database (translation memory =TM). Using this you can analyze the new file in the respective CAT tool, then see the differences and translate accordingly. The process is a little more complicated than my description, but you should get the idea.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
CAT tools and numbers Apr 28, 2010

Using a CAT tool would also help you manage those numbers more easily, there are settings to make sure you don't accidentally miss/change a number, and features to automatically change the number when it's the only difference in an otherwise 100% match.

For example with Wordfast, this segment would be handled automatically - meaning I don't have to manually change the number, it would be suggested to me and I would just accept it without having to type anything:

J'ai 6 chats
I have 6 cats

J'ai 8 chats
I have 8 cats

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same client, similar documents

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search