Canada-based colleagues: How do they send you money?
Thread poster: FrenchPhD

FrenchPhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:14
French to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

I've recently had lots of European clients, and while many have simply said yes to my request for an international transfer, some have asked me to use Moneybookers or Paypal. However the former doesn't recognize my bank (HSBC Canada) and the latter seems to ask for high fees.

Is there a better answer to these questions?

Many thanks in advance to those who offer their two cents.

Peter Konungursvia

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
English to German
Account in Europe Apr 28, 2010

For my European clients (which are mostly banks or financial organizations anyway) I still have an account in Europe. This way they can easily send their wires for no fees or almost no fees using IBAN and BIC.

Then at the end of the month I transfer the balance over to my Canadian bank account (and in good European accounts you can even set international wires up yourself for hardly any fees).

That's by far the easiest way I have figured out so far.

Best regards

Andy
www.interlations.com

candyaz
Local time: 06:14
English to Spanish
I use a Visa pay card. May 11, 2010

I actually avoid outrageous fees with this Visa pay card. I got one for me and a few friends I do business with and they all seem to love it. From here in the US to Italy to Venezuela, it's becoming a popular way for sending and receiving payments for free. Contact thru number or email at the top of the page: [url=http://www.direct-deposit-payroll-card-es.com/url] Free card to card wire transfers, or if your employer has a subsidiary in the states, an ACH deposit should suffice. A foreign company should be able to deposit using the cards routing number and account number. The card also has a plethora of benefits and you can use it anywhere in the world because it's a visa card.

Hope this helps!

[Edited at 2010-05-11 15:07 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:14
Member (2008)
French to English
eCheque May 12, 2010

I had a client in Germany pay me by eCheque. The next day I received a bank draft in the mail from National Bank here in Canada - very fast and low cost.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canada-based colleagues: How do they send you money?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search