Translating Excel tables- how to evaluate the effort?
Thread poster: magd abdel rahman

magd abdel rahman  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 1, 2010

Dear colleagues

I have an assignment in Excel , and I have 14 different tables to translate . From a financial point of view, how can I evaluate the extra time spent in recreating the tables , filling out the cells, revising, etc....I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks for you all.

[Edited at 2010-05-01 06:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-01 06:17 GMT]


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No extra charge May 1, 2010

I never charge extra for Excel tables. What you probably need to explore for the future is ways of translating Excel tables efficiently, like translating them with a CAT tool.

When you say that time will be spent to "adjust the output", do you mean that you need to produce a string in approximately the same length as the original?


 

magd abdel rahman  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adjusting output May 1, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I never charge extra for Excel tables. What you probably need to explore for the future is ways of translating Excel tables efficiently, like translating them with a CAT tool.

When you say that time will be spent to "adjust the output", do you mean that you need to produce a string in approximately the same length as the original?


Tks for your reply. I mean by "adjusting output" writing in a mirror image of the original table, because we read and write Arabic from right to left. This is the most time consuming part because I'm not used to working with excel


 

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No extra charge either... May 1, 2010

... for my regular clients.

 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see May 1, 2010

magd abdel rahman wrote:
Tks for your reply. I mean by "adjusting output" writing in a mirror image of the original table, because we read and write Arabic from right to left. This is the most time consuming part because I'm not used to working with excel

I see. I must admit that I am a complete ignorant on all matters Arabic script, so I apologise if I fail to see the complication here.

In any case, I'd say that you could charge for the translation using your per-word rate, and then invoice per hour for the extra time taken by the job because of the adjustment step required.


 

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
Adjustments May 2, 2010

Adjustments may be necessary no matter what type of file we are working with, for example coming up with creative ways to limit text when target would otherwise be longer than source and not fit in the space allotted.

I agree with Tomas that one effective approach for any adjustments (or even "formatting") is to charge an hourly (or half-hourly) rate for this type of additional work. This requires an evaluation "as you go" or "after the fact", so strictly speaking it would probably be the fairest method.

I guess no one here (so far) has the experience needed to give you the real answer to your question - for evaluating "in advance" in this particular scenario - for example so you can charge a specific per-word surcharge.

The most important thing, of course, is to make sure your client is aware in advance that there will be some kind of extra charge or surcharge. Who knows, after you tell your client about that, they might even "discover" they have another type of document available that will make your work easier.

By the way, are you saying that there is no way to set the cells of an Excel table to accept script written from right to left, as there is in Word? If not, how about transferring the Excel cells into Word and doing the translation in Word (and then transferring it back when done)? Just wondering if there are other "MS" options available.

Good luck!


 

magd abdel rahman  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your opinion May 2, 2010

Janet Rubin wrote:

Adjustments may be necessary no matter what type of file we are working with, for example coming up with creative ways to limit text when target would otherwise be longer than source and not fit in the space allotted.

I agree with Tomas that one effective approach for any adjustments (or even "formatting") is to charge an hourly (or half-hourly) rate for this type of additional work. This requires an evaluation "as you go" or "after the fact", so strictly speaking it would probably be the fairest method.

I guess no one here (so far) has the experience needed to give you the real answer to your question - for evaluating "in advance" in this particular scenario - for example so you can charge a specific per-word surcharge.

The most important thing, of course, is to make sure your client is aware in advance that there will be some kind of extra charge or surcharge. Who knows, after you tell your client about that, they might even "discover" they have another type of document available that will make your work easier.

By the way, are you saying that there is no way to set the cells of an Excel table to accept script written from right to left, as there is in Word? If not, how about transferring the Excel cells into Word and doing the translation in Word (and then transferring it back when done)? Just wondering if there are other "MS" options available.

Good luck!


Thanks a lot Janet for your opinion and your time. I actually had to consult a professional and he said that the whole table can be pivoted to write Arabic and he showed me how to do it. I still think that translating a text in a word form makes life easier, as opposed to excel with short, yet complicated sentences. As you said, Charging a certain hourly rate for managing such files would be fair.

I would also like to thank Tomas and Teresa for their suggestions.

Magd


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Excel tables- how to evaluate the effort?

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search