Leveraging and Multiterm: on what basis can the client request discounts for terms in Multiterm?
Thread poster: MFoxTrans

MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 13:03
Japanese to English
May 2, 2010

Hi, I am pretty knew to the CAT and TM scene, but I was being told by a language provider that not only can/do they use TM's to do leveraging, but they also can use TermBases.

I am trying to understand how that would work. Do they pay a percentage everytime a term that is in the termbase occurs in the source text? What kind of percentages are normal?

I mean, I understand how leveraging works with TM's, since if a segment/sentence occurs in the source, obviously it is going to be worht a percentage of the rate. But how does this work with Terms? And how can they tell? I have Trados 2009 Freelance, and my analysis doesn't seem to separate it out that way. Is professional have a different feature for this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:03
A discount for typing the word D.I.S.C.O.U.N.T.? May 2, 2010

The client can ask for a discount for anything they like.
The basis is that they want to pay you less and are looking for a reason.
It's up to you whether you agree to give a discount for a terminology list.
I wouldn't (and have never heard of such a thing). But it's your choice.

On the subject of discounts see:
http://mox.ingenierotraductor.com/2010/04/discounts.html

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 20:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just ask yourself May 2, 2010

when you work without a TM and you make a "find/replace" to translate a document do you give a discount to your client? For me it is exactly the same principle...

FarkasAndras
Local time: 21:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Never heard of it, either May 2, 2010

If they do want a discount, the calculations would be very tricky...
It's probably just a case of "we provide a termbase for this so we'll knock 10% off the final amount".
Not a very palatable idea, although I myself just accepted a job in a similar situation: the rate offered was lower than I'd have normally accepted, but they provided a pretty good client-specific glossary so I took the job (after checking the glossary and the source text and making sure most of the terminology is indeed covered).

MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 13:03
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed May 3, 2010

Thanks, that was kind of the feeling I got. It didn't seem there was a good way they could accurately leverage those words, and as you point out, they probably don't care much about accuracy, just money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leveraging and Multiterm: on what basis can the client request discounts for terms in Multiterm?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search