Thread poster: Benoit HUPIN (X)

Benoit HUPIN (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:12
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2010

Hello everybody,

I have just received a mail from an old client, a French agency, asking me to "buy" my place of first in the list. The system consists in granting a quantity of free translations corresponding to a percentage of the annual invoiced amount. For example, for an invoiced amount of 10,000 €, I would have to translate for peanuts up to a volume worth 1,000 €.

Obviously, I put an end to this relationship as I consider it is not in the interest of the translator to accept such things. It is not a good approach to pay for work.

I wonder if anyone else has received such weird proposals. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Benoit

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Not personally... May 4, 2010

Hello Benoît,
not personally but I have heard about backwards margins around 7% p.a. ... basically the system you describe.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 11:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never... May 4, 2010

... and this is the very first time I have ever heard of such a proposal!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
First thing.. May 4, 2010

...thanks for not accepting it, and informing us about this. I have never heard about it myself but it sounds very insulting for our profession, and I would react exactly like you did.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
They sound like complete crooks... May 4, 2010

... but then that's what supermarkets are increasingly doing to manufacturers: charging them a fee for the privilege of stocking their goods.

Please do give them an entry on BlueBoard.

Vuk Vujosevic  Identity Verified
Montenegro
English to Serbian
+ ...
Congratulations May 4, 2010

We have to work for nothing same job the agencies are paid 30x our price in our combination.
I do not accept any such payment unless strictly ordered by a Court or Government.
You have my support.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Hahahahaha!!!! May 4, 2010

Great joke, Benoit! Because it's a joke, right?icon_biggrin.gif

Benoit HUPIN (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately not May 4, 2010

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Unfortunately not...

Benoit

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Then... May 4, 2010

Benoit HUPIN wrote:

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Unfortunately not...

Benoit

...they must be smoking something illegal

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: All content removed by poster.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Another aspect of the war for cheap rates May 4, 2010

Benoit HUPIN wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have just received a mail from an old client, a French agency, asking me to "buy" my place of first in the list. The system consists in granting a quantity of free translations corresponding to a percentage of the annual invoiced amount. For example, for an invoiced amount of 10,000 €, I would have to translate for peanuts up to a volume worth 1,000 €.

Obviously, I put an end to this relationship as I consider it is not in the interest of the translator to accept such things. It is not a good approach to pay for work.

I wonder if anyone else has received such weird proposals. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Benoit

Maybe you should send them following link back. On my side, I will put a sign on my homepage that says: Do not feed translators with peanuts. Monkeys get jealous... icon_smile.gif

[Editado a las 2010-05-04 20:16 GMT]

Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
car wash or car pool... May 4, 2010

What's the next step? Washing the CEO's car in the weekends? Or drive his/her children to school once you're reached a certain volume of translated words?icon_wink.gif

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
who would've thought... May 4, 2010

... that a freelancer - heck, a business person! - could get so self-righteously outraged by a business proposal.

Fierce resistance from "calary cuts" are a tenet of employee behavior, where an attempt to try and squeeze money out of you is nothing but exploitation.

Freelancers and business people grant (or refuse) rebates. They understand competition, they have read about Porter's five forces, including rivalry among competitors and bargaining power of buyers. Instead of flaming, they try to improve their position in the market.

I would not accept this kind of a rebate with my current clients — but if the original rate was really good and I cared about the relationship, who knows.

Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reversed roles May 4, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

I would not accept this kind of a rebate with my current clients — but if the original rate was really good and I cared about the relationship, who knows.

Provided anyone can ask anything and therefore anyone can accept/refuse accordingly... On what ground do these people ask for such a thing? Why not a simple discount then? Why would you potentially accept? Because they're in a power position and you are not?

What if roles were reversed and it was the translator who asked €1,000 extra once s/he reaches €10,000 without actually doing any translation for that extra money? What would the agency say about that?

There are always two sides of a coin... it's a little bit like when employees bitch about PTO... where employer is paying for your vacacations with nothing in exchanghe... instead of your working hours...

what would you say if you were asked to work 30 days FOR FREE?;)

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Business proposal? Or...? May 5, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

... that a freelancer - heck, a business person! - could get so self-righteously outraged by a business proposal.

No matter how thin one slices it, there always will be two sides. What appears to be a "business proposal" can also be a sign that the agency in question is going under and does not know anymore where they should reap their profits from.

How about that interpretation?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another aspect of the war for cheap rates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search