Sending a eurocheque from a Spanish bank to a German bank.
Thread poster: Karen Vincent-Jones

Karen Vincent-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
French to English
+ ...
May 6, 2010

I need to send some money from the UK to a German client. As I have a euro account with a Spanish bank, can I simply send a cheque drawn on this account to the client's bank in Germany, and ask them to pay it into his account? This would avoid the expense of sending pounds sterling and converting it into euros. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 03:31
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
You can send it directly ! May 6, 2010

If you have an account in Spain in EUR it's better to wire it directly as there are no charges !

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am in UK and my euro account is in Spain May 6, 2010

Thank you for replying, Mohammed.
The only problem is that I am now in the UK and can only communicate with my Spanish bank via e-mail- which they don't reply to- or telephone- when they tell me to put my request in writing or call in to the branch in person! It is a catch-22 situation.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Online banking May 6, 2010

Your Spanish bank very likely has an online banking system, wouldn't you be able to make use of that? I do online banking for both my US and German accounts, and wire transfers within the EU are free, as mentioned above.

There is probably some paperwork to be filled out, and I don't know the banking laws in Spain, but from my experience it's worth it in the end. Why don't you inquire if it's possible?

Edited to add: The check will probably be acceptable, but it might take a little time to clear. If I draw money on my US account I write a check to myself and deposit in the German account. It gets credited in a day or two, with the caveat that it has to clear for the funds to be permanently credited.

[Edited at 2010-05-06 16:00 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Who accepts checks nowadays? May 6, 2010

Did you ask if the recipient agrees to checks? I wouldn't.
Regards
Heinrich

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Germany and the US do May 6, 2010

@Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Did you ask if the recipient agrees to checks? I wouldn't.

As I described above, it's the only case in which I use checks, and only because the US is so far behind in online banking. It's still not common to use it there to pay bills, though I think that's slowly changing. Unbelievable as it is, the American idea of online banking includes the BANK issuing a check on your behalf - now how ludicrous is that? However, many of the people I know there still write checks to pay their monthly bills, and the online payment systems are not nearly as secure as the German one my bank uses, for example, so I don't really blame the Americans for preferring the old-fashioned way.

Edited to add: An American client I had a few years ago also paid by check because wire transfers are very expensive in the US, and a pain in the neck - I suppose because of the very stringent money-laundering laws.

Bah! Not my day for explaining things clearly, sorry:

Germany ACCEPTS checks, but we don't use them here anymore. The use of checks is still very widespread in the US, and they are still the preferred payment method for many people there, in addition to plastic.

[Edited at 2010-05-06 17:07 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
There might be charges May 6, 2010

Just to clarify: banks can make charges for intra-euro area transfers. The rule is that they have to charge the same for intra-euro area transfers (Spain->Germany) than what they charge for "national" transfers (Spain->Spain).

I know that most German banks do not charge for Germany->Germany bank transfers and therefore cannot charge for intra-euro area transfers but some Spanish banks (at least mine) do actually charge for Spain->Spain transfers and therefore they charge the same for intra-euro area transfers (Spain->Germany).

Something to keep in mind is that for intra-euro area bank transfers, you will need to provide the IBAN and the BIC (also known as SWIFT) codes. The receipiend of the money can get these from their bank and send them over to you.

At any rate, online banking and a bank transfer is definitely the best option for you, I would say.

Daniel

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
LaCaixa ? May 7, 2010

Karen Vincent-Jones wrote:

Thank you for replying, Mohammed.
The only problem is that I am now in the UK and can only communicate with my Spanish bank via e-mail- which they don't reply to- or telephone- when they tell me to put my request in writing or call in to the branch in person! It is a catch-22 situation.

Hello,

In Spain the banks have an online system, the system allows you to do transfers as well !

Is your bank LaCaixa because they have an online system, I'm not quite sure whether they charge or not for EU.

Cheers !

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Some banks are flexible May 7, 2010

Maybe you can talk to the bank to get the transfer done "the informal way". My bank, for instance, has once offered me to conduct business over the phone and by fax/e-mail.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have sent a cheque in euros from Spanish bank to German bank May 11, 2010

Well, I have gone ahead and sent the cheque. It remains to be seen whether the German bank will accept it! They may send it back to the Spanish bank (Unicaja).
Thank you for your feedback, Mohamed, Wolfgang, Heinrich, Daniel and Woodstock. I will try to organise internet banking, that is obviously the best way.
If this transaction is successful, I will let you know. Or ideed, even if it isn't- it is still useful to know how not to do it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending a eurocheque from a Spanish bank to a German bank.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search