Breakdown of quotes received for EN-IT job (general translation) offered on Proz
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
Italian to English
+ ...
May 11, 2010

I recently posted a job on Proz.com for the translation of my website from English into Italian. I thought it would be useful to the community to provide a general breakdown and analysis of the quotes I received.

I received a request to post budget information within about 2 minutes of the job being posted – before I had received any quotes. I did not oblige.

I received a total of 35 quotes. Most quotes were for Euros per word, so I’ve converted them all to this for convenience.

Lowest quote received: EUR 0.03
Highest: EUR 0.125 approx.
Mean: EUR 0.066
Mode: EUR 0.05 (6 quotes)
Median: EUR 0.06

Most of those quoting do not display their rates on their ProZ profiles. Of those that do, 5 quoted me a rate equivalent to their highest and 2 to their lowest public rate, 1 quoted me 20% more than the rate in their profile and 4 quoted me a rate considerably lower than their public rates – between 25% and 50% lower.

I requested quotes from freelancers only: despite this, I received two quotes from agencies (EUR 0.05 and EUR 0.055).

I requested the translation of a short sample (54 words). Almost all quotes included a translation. Only 4 did not: the two agencies and two freelancers, both of whom had quoted EUR 0.05.

I requested a short presentation in the body of the quote. All bar two obliged, and most had made at least some effort to target their presentation to my job (a handful seemed to have copied-and-pasted a standard presentation, a couple referred me to their profile, and one presented him/herself in French – I presume this was also a C&P job, but I didn’t examine it too closely).
With a few exceptions, the higher the rate quoted, the more effort had gone into including relevant information.

The rate of the winning offer is of course between the translator concerned and me, but I’m happy to let you know that it was considerably higher than the mean.

[Edited at 2010-05-11 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-11 13:40 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
EN->IT right? May 11, 2010

Should the title be edited?

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EN-IT May 11, 2010

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Should the title be edited?

Certainly is!

Thanks for pointing that out, Katalin.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
French to English
Geog.? May 11, 2010

Any noticable geographical difference?

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Geographical breakdown May 11, 2010

The vast majority of offers came from Italy, and these included both the highest and the lowest. I received one quote from Germany and one from the US (both higher than the mean), one from China (lower than the mean) and 5 from the UK (two higher than the mean, three lower than the mean).

[Edited at 2010-05-11 13:19 GMT]

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
interesting! May 11, 2010

Thanks for sharing this Marie-Hélène.

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fees May 11, 2010

Dear Ms. Hayles,

I've been up to comment on a post about our fees, but when I had finished my comments and tried to send them, I received a message of error and it didn't go.

What often happens is that the exchange values determine less fees values for some countries.

For example, here in Brazil the association asks us to maintain R$0,07 per word as a minimum. It corresponds to around US$0.04 and EUR 0,03, what is indeed low in comparison to international standards.

I believe the same occurs in countries as India and China that usually offer really low rates as payment.

I've appreciated learning about other fees.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Really interesting! May 11, 2010

Rebekka Groß wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Marie-Hélène.

A big "Thank you" from me too, Marie-Hélène, for all your work in producing these statistics.

Just one thing that interests me, that you didn't mention:- was there any correlation between the quality of the sample translation and the rate?

A question occurs to me:- Did the translator who replied in French express an ability to translate into Italian, or did they simply fail to read the posting and go be your first name?

P.S. I hope you'll be happy with the translation!icon_smile.gif

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Sheila May 11, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Just one thing that interests me, that you didn't mention:- was there any correlation between the quality of the sample translation and the rate?

All the translations bar one were of at least reasonable quality, but with a few exceptions, the higher the rate, the better the translation (in my own and my [Italian] husband's subjective opinion). The translations offered at the lower rates tended to be less punchy - they were faithful to the letter but not to the spirit of the original.

Did the translator who replied in French express an ability to translate into Italian, or did they simply fail to read the posting and go be your first name?

They provided a pretty good translation, in fact, but disqualified themselves from the outset by presenting themselves in French. I have no idea if they went by my first name or not, but you'd think that anyone responding to an ad written in English asking for a translation into Italian would automatically reply in one of those two languages!

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"Spirit" is worth paying for May 11, 2010

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
The translations offered at the lower rates tended to be less punchy - they were faithful to the letter but not to the spirit of the original.

That sums up nicely the difference between a "passable" translation and one that's worth a bit extra. If only all our clients could appreciate that.icon_smile.gif

you'd think that anyone responding to an ad written in English asking for a translation into Italian would automatically reply in one of those two languages!

You would, indeed!

Thanks again for the insight you've given us, Marie-Hélène

Sheila

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Very instructive indeed... May 12, 2010

Thanks for sharing, Marie-Hélène. Your conclusion sentence (The rate of the winning offer is of course between the translator concerned and me, but I’m happy to let you know that it was considerably higher than the mean.) somewhat reassures me.

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Good job! May 13, 2010

Marie-Hélène, thank you very much for posting this in such a thorough manner, this is extremely interesting.

I was annoyed to see such low median even for Western language combination. I thought that Western language combination would have a higher median than my pair (English to East European language) but I was wrong. Should I assume even lower median for English to Czech?

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English-Czech May 13, 2010

Milos Prudek wrote:

I was annoyed to see such low median even for Western language combination. I thought that Western language combination would have a higher median than my pair (English to East European language) but I was wrong. Should I assume even lower median for English to Czech?

I'm really not in a position to say, I'm afraid! I'm not sure how far it's reasonable to extrapolate from data on a single language pair, or even to draw conclusions about an entire language pair from data on only 35 translators.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Breakdown of quotes received for EN-IT job (general translation) offered on Proz

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search