Transcription/translation of audio files
Thread poster: Peter Horvath
Peter Horvath  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:12
English to Slovak
+ ...
May 27, 2010

Hello
I have to ask you colleagues because somehow I dont understand the situation.
I have been in the business since 1992 and my monthly workload ranges from 60,000 to 180,000 words.

Recently I responded to a job offer :
transcription/translation of an audio file (language comination SLOVAK - ENGLISH)
the job was to listen to an audio file in SLOVAK and the result expected was ENGLISH text - i.e. transcription + translation. As I have done similar jobs in the past (documentaries for DISCOVERY), in my experience (documentaries), 60 minutes of audio corresponded to about 5,000 words of text.
the rate offered was 1,4 GBP per minute of audio, i.e. i figured about 0,032 EUR/word which is OK as it was to be the first job for the company.
I received the audio file (120 minutes) and a word file with first 30 minutes translated - i was supposed to complete the translation. THe word count on the file showed 3,500 words, i.e. the entire file probably corresponded to about 14,000 words and the rate suddenly plummeted to 0,015 EUR/word. (and I have to add the assigned was to be completed within about 6 hours)
MY QUESTIONS:

1. I think I am quite fast (at my peak I can manage up to 1500 words/hour, with deterioriated quality of course). Can anyone transcribe + translate 10,000 words in 6 hours?

2. I dont think I have high expectations but do you think 0,015 EUR/word is adequate for transcription AND translation?

peter horvath
SLOVAKIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Caroline Fratani  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
don' t accept that rate! May 27, 2010

Ahoj Peter,

I think it is scandalous to ask for such a small amount of money and you should not accept such a small rate. It is impossible to work under those conditions with that stress. You are NOT a slave!

bye bye
Caroline

Peter Horvath  Identity Verified
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know May 27, 2010

... but I felt bad for not accepting the job because that is something that I dont like to do.. nevertheless they are telling me that they have people who do it for them and I just cant believe it... not just the rates but the turnaround time.. what is your top speed?
peter

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Think in the long term May 27, 2010

Hi Peter,

Peter Horvath wrote:

... but I felt bad for not accepting the job because that is something that I dont like to do..

Why?

Because you have already said yes? That would be a good enough reason if the job had been properly specified beforehand. But this does not seem not to be the case here.

Or are you afraid that by saying "no" once you risk losing this client? And this fear is strong enough to consider working for half the initial rate? Then think about the long-term risk inherent in this approach: take a look at this link and this link to start with.

nevertheless they are telling me that they have people who do it for them and I just cant believe it...

Let them do it. If they can provide acceptable quality for your client, why does the client bother with trying to negotiate with you?

Also: the client's and your interests are obviously confronting - in which case you have very good reasons to take their advice and comments with a grain of salt.

not just the rates but the turnaround time.. what is your top speed?

It should not matter. Why should you change your pricing policy if there is someone who can work three times as fast as you?

BTW, the rate - even the initial one - sounds far too low for a sustainable professional career.

Best regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-05-27 10:32 GMT]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No, no, no May 27, 2010

Peter Horvath wrote:
MY QUESTIONS:

1. I think I am quite fast (at my peak I can manage up to 1500 words/hour, with deterioriated quality of course). Can anyone transcribe + translate 10,000 words in 6 hours?

2. I dont think I have high expectations but do you think 0,015 EUR/word is adequate for transcription AND translation?

To complete the transcription in 6 hours would be no mean feat; plus translating it would be impossible.

According to your hourly rate on your profile, you should be averaging 1660 words, not "up to 1500 at my peak". In other words, your word rate is too low, or your hourly rate is too high. I suggest it is the former.

In my experience 60 min. of audio at 5000 words is the minimum I have ever come across in English (Clint Eastwood as a hero, or the Marx brothers minus Groucho, but Harpo as the central character). It can be as high as 8000, so the average is around 6500.
The word count in Slovak may be less, but the number of keystrokes is unlikely to be less.

Why on earth would you consider doing a job for half of your rate - which, in any case, is less than your hourly rate - and impossible to do in the time they have given to you so kindly?

One more obvious thing: the reason you were offered the job was that someone quit doing it, realising their mistake in taking it on, and leaving very little time to have it finished.

You should feel good about not accepting this job, because you could not be able to finish it in time anyway, and it gives you time to do a better one, or do something more rewarding.

[Edited at 2010-05-28 00:01 GMT]

mszlilian  Identity Verified
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
transcription of audio files Feb 19, 2011

Kedves Attila !
Mint új tag, szeretnék kapcsolódni a problémához és megtudni, mennyi az a tisztességes, elfogadható összeg, amennyiért lehet vállalni audio-file átírását angolról magyarra ?

Köszönettel:

Michnáné Szabó Lilian

Hi Peter,

Peter Horvath wrote:

... but I felt bad for not accepting the job because that is something that I dont like to do..

Why?

Because you have already said yes? That would be a good enough reason if the job had been properly specified beforehand. But this does not seem not to be the case here.

Or are you afraid that by saying "no" once you risk losing this client? And this fear is strong enough to consider working for half the initial rate? Then think about the long-term risk inherent in this approach: take a look at this link and this link to start with.

nevertheless they are telling me that they have people who do it for them and I just cant believe it...

Let them do it. If they can provide acceptable quality for your client, why does the client bother with trying to negotiate with you?

Also: the client's and your interests are obviously confronting - in which case you have very good reasons to take their advice and comments with a grain of salt.

not just the rates but the turnaround time.. what is your top speed?

It should not matter. Why should you change your pricing policy if there is someone who can work three times as fast as you?

BTW, the rate - even the initial one - sounds far too low for a sustainable professional career.

Best regards,
Attila

[Edited at 2010-05-27 10:32 GMT] [/quote]

mszlilian  Identity Verified
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
acceptable rate for transcription Feb 19, 2011

Hi.

I need some help to figure out my rates for transcription of audio files .

Could you provide me advice ?

Lilian
Ahoj Peter,

I think it is scandalous to ask for such a small amount of money and you should not accept such a small rate. It is impossible to work under those conditions with that stress. You are NOT a slave!

bye bye
Caroline [/quote]

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:12
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Ouffff! Feb 19, 2011

For transcripting audio files, I usually count 3x the duration and I'm talking of good quality files (one person speaking clearly, such person not being in a rush to go... wherever!). But I recently read in another post that 5x the duration of the audiofile and even more is not unusual.
Translating as the same time you're doing a transcription looks to me like interpreting-sténotyping. It MUST be worth more than such a rate! Please, do not believe everything a crook can tell you. What will you get out of it? little money, high anxiety and most probably a bad name since as you said, quality will suffer.

[Modifié le 2011-02-19 06:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription/translation of audio files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search