Thread poster: yugoslavia

yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if any of you have done translations for any company located in Estonia.

I did a French translation for a translation company in this country since October 2009 and they still haven't pay me. I tried t call them but nobody is answering the phone, Skype or my e-mail messages.
They promised to pay by Paypal but they didn't keep their word.

I wrote to the American Embassy in Estonia and I called the Estonian Embassy in Washington D.C. and they are suppose to start an investigation of how to do law enforcement against them.

I'm not very familar with the Estonian laws.

Can you recommend me a collection agency from there or something that I should do?

All your suggestions and comments are welcome.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2010-05-31 09:19 GMT]

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Payment misunderstandings, probably? May 31, 2010

Could it be that they got overloaded with work, invoices, etc.? How about wire transfer? With SWIFT code, SORT code, etc. I did work for one Estonian agency before (don't know whether it's the same one) and Australia doesn't have an embassy there. However, the payment was settled because they misunderstood the bank information.

Well, don't go off the deep end too soon.

Good luck!

yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non-paying customer from Estonia May 31, 2010

Hi

Honestly, I think this company is dishonest because they are not answering phone calls, e-mails and I don't think the Skype account is working either. I saw other translators who had bad experience with them too.

Can you recommend me something? What was the name of your agency in Estonia?

Thanks a lot.

Yugoslavia

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you tried the old mail system? May 31, 2010

Before talking of legal action, I really urge you to send them a letter by the old-fashioned route, in an envelope. Preferably by registered post or whatever they have in your country.

I had a client who went quiet on me and I escalated things to a registered letter in very formal language and mentioning legal action as the next step. The reaction was immediate: the payment appeared by return with apologies etc.

I don't know whether they had a legitimate problem or just an excuse - I don't really care as I'd already decided not to work with this client again.

I wish you similar success.

Edited for addition:-

You need to be careful about legal action if you think they've gone out of business - no lawyer in the world can get your money from a bankrupt company, but they'll still charge you their fees. If they aren't answering the phone, maybe there's nobody there.

[Edited at 2010-05-31 18:12 GMT]

yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sheila May 31, 2010

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your answer. I was not thinking hiring a lawyer. It will be very expensive If I do this.

I was thinking about hiring a collection agency, contacting the Estonian police because they are doing on-line fraud or filing a complaint with a goverment organization because this is a crime.

I think they are just hiding because the Skype account of one project manager is still ringing when I'm calling her by Skype but she doesn't answer my calls or messages.

Thanks for your help.

Yugoslavia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-paying customer from Estonia.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search