Charge per word repeated
Thread poster: Richard Koenig

Richard Koenig  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2010

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to TRADOS software and was simply wondering how much it is custommary to charge per word repeated in a given text as a percentage of ones normal charge for a new word. Thank you so much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
English to German
+ ...
The full rate, what else? Jun 2, 2010

Or did the outsourcer pay for your software?

Emmanuelle Riffault  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:56
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
Full rate too Jun 2, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Or did the outsourcer pay for your software?

Exactly

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 2, 2010

Thank you for your answer Nicole, I have been asked to answer this question as seperate from the new word charge on occasion and have wondered whether this was common practice or not. While translating in Mexico I definitely heard that it happens, but was unsure how to react. You are very right. The software is expensive and it seems unfair and rather complicated to calculate anyway. I just wanted know what other translators thought. Thanks again.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Misconceptions Jun 2, 2010

Richard Koenig wrote:

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to TRADOS software and was simply wondering how much it is custommary to charge per word repeated in a given text as a percentage of ones normal charge for a new word. Thank you so much.

Per repeated *word*???? The same as what you always charge.

Trados is helpful for repeated words (via the terminology function) but fortunately there is no good way of calculating the exact amount of leverage. What you're probably thinking of is the function whereby the software remembers *sentences* that you have previously translated. The analysis you get from Trados is expressed in words, but it analyses the text as translation units (usually sentences).

You may find that if you have a lot of repetitive work, you save enough time using the software that it becomes worth your while to pass on some of the savings to your customer. But this must be your decision on a job-by-job basis, and I see no point in applying a blanket reduced percentage from the start.

My agency clients fall into two camps: firstly, those who neither know nor care what tools I use to do the job; and secondly, those who know what tool I use and incorporate me and my tools into their workflow. Both are useful, and the latter approach can save a lot of time and effort all round, meaning that I can offer some modest discounts for repetitions and high fuzzy matches (anything below 75% I charge at full rate) and still earn substantially more money than I would without a CAT tool.

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's very helpful Jun 2, 2010

Dear Angela,

Brilliant, thank you. That helps a lot too. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my question, I was merely reacting to a question asked by a potential client which was "rate per word repeated". Your answer has made everything a lot clearer.

Thank You,

Richard

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just say no. Jun 2, 2010

There are many 'kitchen-table and mobile phone' agencies that demand 'fuzzy' discounts from inexperienced translators. You just have to say 'no' to this sort of fumbling approach.

Although there are some projects where a discount for repetitions makes sense and seems fair, these are few and far between.

My advice is to avoid most 'agencies'. Real clients pay more, pay more quickly, show more loyalty, give much longer deadlines, and never ask for fuzzies.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This is not a shady bottom tier approach at all Jun 2, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

There are many 'kitchen-table and mobile phone' agencies that demand 'fuzzy' discounts from inexperienced translators. You just have to say 'no' to this sort of fumbling approach.

I don't think there is any real justification for associating 100% repetition and fuzzy match pricing with bottom of the barrel agencies. It has more to do with the type of material they work with. For instance, software localization is an area with lots of repetitions. Unsurprisingly, any major software maker you care to name enforces repetition and fuzzy match discounts with agencies and thus translators - otherwise, they would be paying double or triple prices for many of their translations, which, pleasant as it would be for us translators, is out of the question.

John Rawlins wrote:
Although there are some projects where a discount for repetitions makes sense and seems fair, these are few and far between.

How frequent these jobs are depends entirely on what types of text you translate.
Lots of companies iterate their products (and product descriptions) with minor changes, or produce regular reports on whatever it is that they do with not much difference between versions except the figures. I don't translate much of this sort of stuff, but it's more frequent than you seem to think.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 14:34 GMT]

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a big industry Jun 2, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Lots of companies iterate their products (and product descriptions) with minor changes, or produce regular reports on whatever it is that they do with not much difference between versions except the figures. I don't translate much of this sort of stuff, but it's more frequent than you seem to think.

Yes, you have made some good points.

The translation industry is so large and so varied that it is inadvisable for anyone to make sweeping generalisations - as I did.

In truth, my observations are only valid for that tiny part of the industry that I can see.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Still bad practice... Jun 2, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:
Unsurprisingly, any major software maker you care to name enforces repetition and fuzzy match discounts with agencies and thus translators - otherwise, they would be paying double or triple prices for many of their translations, which, pleasant as it would be for us translators, is out of the question.

I think this surely true, but it's still bad practice on the part of those software companies. If a software company wants to provide translators with material that has no repetitions because the cost of the translation is more important to them than accurate linguistic content, then those software companies have the resources to write a tool to remove the repetitions and paste them back again in the translation and they should use their resources to do so and take on the associated "linguistic risk" of cutting that corner.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Just what I was about to write Jun 2, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
Unsurprisingly, any major software maker you care to name enforces repetition and fuzzy match discounts with agencies and thus translators - otherwise, they would be paying double or triple prices for many of their translations, which, pleasant as it would be for us translators, is out of the question.

I think this surely true, but it's still bad practice on the part of those software companies. If a software company wants to provide translators with material that has no repetitions because the cost of the translation is more important to them than accurate linguistic content, then those software companies have the resources to write a tool to remove the repetitions and paste them back again in the translation and they should use their resources to do so and take on the associated "linguistic risk" of cutting that corner.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What for? Jun 2, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

What would be the purpose of this? Just to make the translator feel better?

Existing tools are suitable enough, the client is perfectly aware of the risk - it's their decision.

I do apply discount repetition rates, because I make more money that way - it's a simple business decision. And grand principles do not make much sense, without the perspecitve of actual numbers - I know translators in my pair whose 100% rates are lower than my discounted 33% rate for some clients.

All in all, it's the bottom line that counts - everything else are negotiable details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge per word repeated

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search