Thread poster: Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
Sonia Rowland
Local time: 09:57
German to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2001

Just a general tax question:

On my invoices, bids, etc, will I have to quote the price inclusive or exclusive of VAT?

I have studied the bids on the ProZ website and found that no-one states it.

Does this mean it\'s implied or that one expects the client to assume they have to add it themselves?

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2001

Further to my answer to your previous question, you must first decide whether or not to register for VAT.

Any quotes, invoices etc you then send out will reflect the VAT status you have chosen.

when bidding for work on ProZ, use your rate without VAT, as the VAT is only added for invoicing purposes, then claimed back...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Jul 18, 2001

The decision whether to register (in France anyway) depends on your tunrover. Up to a certain amount, there is no obligation to regsiter, although there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. If you are going to make investments : buy computers, software etc, then it may be worth it, if only to recover the VAT on purchases made. Otherwise you pay for things incl. VAT.

Once you have reached the threshold where you have no choice but to invoice VAT, then where you are and wh
... See more
The decision whether to register (in France anyway) depends on your tunrover. Up to a certain amount, there is no obligation to regsiter, although there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. If you are going to make investments : buy computers, software etc, then it may be worth it, if only to recover the VAT on purchases made. Otherwise you pay for things incl. VAT.

Once you have reached the threshold where you have no choice but to invoice VAT, then where you are and where your clients are will depend whether or not you charge it. In any event, when you charge it, you recover it from your client and just pass it onto the State.

The VAT rules are more complicated than they might at first seem. For some of my clients I have to bill it out, and for others, not. For some it all depends on whether they are registered or not... I have just recently sought the services of an acountant. A great help, although we have to plough through the rules together!

Depending on the legal structure of your business too, there are many ways of paying over any VAT billed out/recovering VAT paid out. Eg : if you are a memeber of a liberal profession here, you can pay/claim every month on the basis of what you have actually received/paid. You can opt to do so every three months, also on the basis of what is really billed out/paid out. You can also opt to work on a fixed-rate with a final adjustment at the end of the year... Not that straightforward!

Rates are always quoted without VAT. That way everyone knows where they are!!!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-18 22:58 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »