Wire transfer from Italy to Ukraine - IBAN?
Thread poster: Studio-ti
Studio-ti
Italy
Local time: 05:16
English
Jun 15, 2010

Hi there,

The situation is as follows: I need to do a wire transfer, from Italy to Ukraine, for a payment.
Problem is: the bank asks me for the recipient's IBAN code, otherwise, they say, no transfer will be done.
I asked the recipient for it, and he says he doesn't have one, that no Ukrainian bank has one, and that some colleagues of his received trasfers from Italy with no trouble at all.

I am caught between the "no IBAN - no payment" and the "IBAN doesn't exist" options.

Is there anyone who has experienced - and solved - such a situation before?

Please remember that, as a company, we cannot easily go round these problems (and without costs), we must go through the banks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
Russian to English
+ ...
please clarify what kind of wire transfer you mean Jun 15, 2010

Is it a transfer to bank account or money transfer like Western Union?

[Edited at 2010-06-15 08:56 GMT]

Russian to English
+ ...
Look here Jun 15, 2010

Look here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bank_Account_Number

Seems that Ukraine is not using IBAN.

SWIFT code is used instead. Just ask your bank if they can make payment based on the SWIFT code. (Apparently they must be able to)

Studio-ti
Italy
English
TOPIC STARTER
from bank account to bank account Jun 15, 2010

A wire transfer from my company's bank account to the recipient's bank account
currency: Euros
(Our banks in Italy do not directly support Wester Union or other systems any more)

Studio-ti
Italy
English
TOPIC STARTER
I know, but bank employee says IBAN is absolutely needed Jun 15, 2010

She writes she has made some six phone calls, and got the same information: we need the IBAN code.
It seems impossible, but no joke, that's what I am told.

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Different branch or different bank? Jun 15, 2010

Anna_Studio-ti wrote:

She writes she has made some six phone calls, and got the same information: we need the IBAN code.
It seems impossible, but no joke, that's what I am told.

Maybe you should just try a different branch of your own bank, or a completely different bank in Italy. This really seems to be the bank clerk's lack of knowledge. Try asking her about wire transfers to the U.S. or to New Zealand. Would she require an IBAN for those too even though there is none? Or would she rather try and make you believe her bank does not support wire transfers to those countries?

There are many ways of identifying bank accounts other than the IBAN.

HTH,

Daniel

[Edited at 2010-06-15 09:31 GMT]

Russian to English
+ ...
what to do Jun 15, 2010

Anna_Studio-ti wrote:

A wire transfer from my company's bank account to the recipient's bank account
currency: Euros
(Our banks in Italy do not directly support Wester Union or other systems any more)

Anna, just try saying the magic word SWIFT to your bank manager, if s/he does not know that word contact a higher-level manager.

kgm
English to Russian
+ ...
SWIFT works only Jun 15, 2010

A few years ago a company from Ireland tried to pay me via bank transfer. They asked for IBAN. I consulted with bank people in Ukraine and they informed me that no one can pay via IBAN to Ukraine, only via SWIFT.
As you see in wiki, IBAN is originally developed to facilitatу payments within the European Union. Ukraine is not a part of the EU. To make a payment to Ukraine, you need only SWIFT.

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
It's your bank fault...Tell Them! Jun 15, 2010

...I've just checked the "Foreign Bank Transfer" form of the online system provided by my bank and it switches to "SWIFT" code if I select "Ucraina", while it's normally "IBAN" if I select an EU country!

So, it seems an online system is performing better than a Human bank clerk...and without having to do 6 phone calls! (I do hope Machine Translations won't have the same success against Human translators!)

BTW, my bank claims to be the number 1 or 2 in Italy, I can't remember now...but you can find it thinking at the number (1).

Good luck!
RR

Studio-ti
Italy
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you Jun 16, 2010

Good morning!

Well, I must say I have already tried some of the options you correctly suggested (e.g. the telling that the SWIFT code is enough, that the IBAN is only for EU countries, etc.)

I will try and bypass the employee and talk directly with the foreign office, seeing as she's being so stubborn on this point.

Thank you very much for your support, I hope I will sort things out without much trouble.

Good day to you all!

Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wire transfer from Italy to Ukraine - IBAN?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search