How much should I charge for a tapescript from a video recording per minute?
Thread poster: Rosa Elena Lozano Arton

Rosa Elena Lozano Arton  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:56
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
Jun 16, 2010

How much shoudl I charge for a tapescript from a video which I have to make, and then translate? Is there any fare per minute or a standard, and then would there be an extra charge for translation per source word? What discount would you apply to a high volume and to a regular customer?

Thanks to everyone!

Direct link Reply with quote

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:56
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
How much do you charge per working hour? Jun 16, 2010

Make your own calculations. Try to transcript continuously during one hour. See how many video/audio minutes can you process in one working hour, then you can calculate your rate per video/audio minute.

I usually charge extra for the translation and I charge the same as I would charge for any other translation. I don't see why would we make any difference.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
1 hour audio = 6-8 hours to transcribe Jun 16, 2010

Rosa Elena Lozano Arton wrote:
How much shoudl I charge for a tapescript from a video which I have to make, and then translate? Is there any fare per minute or a standard, and then would there be an extra charge for translation per source word? What discount would you apply to a high volume and to a regular customer?

A rule of thumb is that if the audio is good quality and you can hear everyone on the tape clearly, it takes between 6 and 8 hours to transcribe 1 hour of tape. So you can charge your normal hourly rate for every 7 minutes of audio.

The translation can then be charged separately, on a per-word basis. You can also charge for the translation per hour, but there's no way of knowing how many words there'll be. Some people speak fast and some people speak slowly, and within certain thresholds it takes roughly the same amount of time to transcribe a fast speaker and a slow speaker's speech, but it takes longer to translate a fast speaker's speech beacuse there are more words.

I would not apply a volume discount, because a large volume takes you just as long to transcribe per minute as a small volume of work. In fact, I'd charge a premium fee if the client wants me to translate more than half an hour per day, because transcription is very tiring work (much more than translation) and transcribing more than an hour a day is like translating more than 16 hours a day.

Rosa Elena Lozano Arton  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:56
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you both Jun 16, 2010

Thank you Samuel and Veronika, your comments have been really enlightenning for me so that I can now have a basis to negotiate with my customer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I charge for a tapescript from a video recording per minute?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search