Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Made me laugh Jun 18, 2010

Simon Oliver wrote:

I was approached today by a PROZ outsourcer looking for people to help with a legal translation. She (and I obviously can't give her name although I'd love to) is offering the extravagant price of £0.03 per word (with discounts for repeat words to come!).

I told her to be ashamed of herself

Simon

That is such a good answer! I normally feel like saying something else, but I might start using that one from now on. It's...polite.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:13
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Such "budgets" must and need to be published within the right context Jun 18, 2010

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

neither with the budget nor with the fact that this is being published in the forums.

To make a start:

My company pays US $0.08 per word for editing / proofreading. We do demand utmost quality and the rate quoted by the translator is the rate that will be paid.

Therefore we will always receive top-notch quality by highly motivated top-professionals and we never, ever had to spend a dime on fixing any screw-ups in all those years. Not a cent.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:13
French to German
+ ...
This was my assumption too. Jun 18, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Here's the thing:

Let's say you have a nice profile page here on ProZ.com or whatever portal. You state your various university degrees, your certifications, your many years of experience in a highly specialized field. Your expertise. Decades of previous employment in leading positions that indicate 6-digit salaries. Now you put all this know-how to work as a translator.

And here comes some [bleep] who thinks you will reveal all this know-how that took decades to build up for 3 cents a word.

And yes, such people are really {bleep}... Quite in the same way as those who PM you with an offer @ EUR 0.05/word.

My second assumption is that these {bleep #2} sometimes even do not read profiles in extenso.

[Edited at 2010-06-18 15:18 GMT]

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Same mail Jun 19, 2010

At some accursed point in time I actually entered into correspondence with this company regarding a potential job (it stayed potential) and was apparently entered into their database.

Despite their instructions, I did respond to this mail and have responded in the past; I have told them more than once they "may want to" remove me from their database since my standard rates are generally more than twice what they budget for their projects, and so we will likely never work together.<
... See more
At some accursed point in time I actually entered into correspondence with this company regarding a potential job (it stayed potential) and was apparently entered into their database.

Despite their instructions, I did respond to this mail and have responded in the past; I have told them more than once they "may want to" remove me from their database since my standard rates are generally more than twice what they budget for their projects, and so we will likely never work together.

So far they haven't listened, but maybe my luck will change...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Removing from database Jun 19, 2010

Janet Rubin wrote:
I have told them more than once they "may want to" remove me from their database...

Have you considered the possibility that the offer to remove you from their database is merely a legal requirement and not something that they're actually offering?

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I am Jun 19, 2010

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

neither with the budget nor with the fact that this is being published in the forums.

erm I am. no reason to let this sink in some private mail inboxes. no reason not to help this out to get discussed in public space.

@Tomás: :] perfect. yes. whoever wants a mercedes should not expect to get it for the price of a POLSKI FIAT 125P.

(edited for jaguar typo.)

[Edited at 2010-06-19 10:47 GMT]

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Other way around Jun 19, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:
Have you considered the possibility that the offer to remove you from their database is merely a legal requirement and not something that they're actually offering?

I never said they offered anything of the sort - as far as I know, they never have. As stated in the body of the mail, they simply expect you to "delete it". And then after a while it will just be replaced by another equally ridiculous mail.

Perhaps I should just use stronger language, I do (on rare occasions) tend to be too polite.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comfortable with the budget?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »