I have a new project that has a total of 15,683 words, of which:

1. 6,782 are new words
2. 353 are reptitions
3. 2,381 are 100% matches
4. 3,359 are 95% to 99%
5. 2,094 are 85% to 94%
6. 412 are 75% to 84%
7. 302 are 50% to 74%

The project has 3 doc files that need to be translated from German to English in Trados. I have a master TM that can be applied. My budget for this project is as follows:

* US$0.06 per No Match word /US$0.03 per Fuzzy Match word /US$0.0125 per repeat.

The due date for this is next Thursday, June 23, 2010 at 10 AM GMT -5.

Since there are 3 files, we can split among 3 differnet people, as long as you can use Trados , are comfortable with text related to business contracts with some/rare legal terminology, and are comfortable with the budget.

If this is something you're interested in, please let me know. If this email does not apply to you, I apologize and you can just simply delete it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And the question is? Jun 18, 2010

I don't see what the issue is here. If you don't like the look of this job, don't take it on !

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Comments Jun 18, 2010

Since you don't ask a question, I take it you're inviting comments.

Kim Metzger wrote:
1. I have a new project that has a total of 15,683 words, of which:
* 353 are reptitions
* 2,381 are 100% matches
2. I have a master TM that can be applied.
3. US$0.06 per No Match word /US$0.03 per Fuzzy Match word /US$0.0125 per repeat.
4. The due date for this is next Thursday, June 23, 2010 at 10 AM GMT -5.
5. Since there are 3 files, we can split among 3 differnet people...

1. So... that's 12949 new words to be translated.
2. The client is offering to pre-translate the files for you from her TM, but the fact that she has a TM is already known from the analysis.
3. USD 0.06 per word is bottom of the scale. In the rates statistics of a competitor of ProZ.com (whom forum rules prohibit me from mentioning by name), 300 out of 2200 German-English translators charge USD 0.06, and another 300 charge USD 0.08 per word, although none of them charge less than USD 0.05 per word.
4. You have 4 days to do 13 000 words of translation. Think you can do it?
5. Tell the client "thanks" for the offer, but explain that it would be better for them to use a single translator, and that you are quite capable of doing the job by the stated deadline.

If you can do only 2000 words a day, it would take you too long to do the translation. If, however, you can do 5000 words a day, you'd be getting USD 776.94 for a 3-day job.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Frankenstein translations Jun 18, 2010

Kim Metzger wrote:
you can just simply delete it.

This is the best part of the email.

Split it among three different translators and then get what - a Frankenstein structure compiled from three different writing styles, some of which may be so bad that they can't even be called a "style".

Simon Oliver
France
French to English
+ ...
rates are falling everywhere Jun 18, 2010

I was approached today by a PROZ outsourcer looking for people to help with a legal translation. She (and I obviously can't give her name although I'd love to) is offering the extravagant price of £0.03 per word (with discounts for repeat words to come!).

I told her to be ashamed of herself

Simon

Maartje Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I got the same mail Jun 18, 2010

And I'm not even a German to English translator.
Seems this outsourcer is e-mailing everybody in his database.
Also, the budget is realy low, especialy for such a rush project.

Maartje

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
£0.03/word Jun 18, 2010

Simon Oliver wrote:

I was approached today by a PROZ outsourcer looking for people to help with a legal translation. She (and I obviously can't give her name although I'd love to) is offering the extravagant price of £0.03 per word (with discounts for repeat words to come!).

I told her to be ashamed of herself

Simon

Me too - I particularly liked the end request not to contact her if not interested........I think she was anticipating the inevitable.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:44
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Comfortable with the budget? Jun 18, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

And the question is?

I don't see what the issue is here. If you don't like the look of this job, don't take it on !

The title is the question: comfortable with the budget? No issue for me. I have plenty of work. Perhaps others will find this offer worth discussing.

[Edited at 2010-06-18 13:49 GMT]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
They are not. Jun 18, 2010

Simon Oliver wrote:
rates are falling everywhere

That rates are falling is simply not true. It is the exploding internet cloud that provides a perfect Petri dish and an ever-growing playground for bottom feeders. Too many people fall for it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are not (2) Jun 18, 2010

Simon Oliver wrote:

Not my experience either. Yes, more people get to know about you and some of them might offer ridiculous rates (it happens to us every day), but you can simply say no to the proposal and forget about it. If your rates are falling, it is because you accept worse rates.

Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tomás Jun 18, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Simon Oliver wrote:

Not my experience either. Yes, more people get to know about you and some of them might offer ridiculous rates (it happens to us every day), but you can simply say no to the proposal and forget about it. If your rates are falling, it is because you accept worse rates.

Simple wise words!

Ricardo Horta  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What's "funny" is... Jun 18, 2010

...these people pay rock bottom rates and yet they WANT (demand?) us to use software that costs hundreds of euros / dollars / pounds.

And, in this particular case, the outsourcer stresses that the text contains "rare" terminology.

In short, they want highly specialized translators who invested in expensive (at least it is to me) software, the deadline is relatively short and, in return, they'll give you a bag of peanuts! Or like my father sometimes say about some supermarket "sales", this could be translated as "give us a cow, and we'll give you one liter of milk".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And just you dare... Jun 18, 2010

ricardonhorta wrote:
...these people pay rock bottom rates and yet they WANT (demand?) us to use software that costs hundreds of euros / dollars / pounds.

...and you just dare make a mistake in a low-pay job! Apparently low-payers expect the same quality other customers pay a lot more to enjoy. Ever since I learnt that all outsourcers expect to ride a Mercedes, I try to sell my work at Mercedes prices.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:44
English to German
+ ...
Perhaps it was not the asker's intention... Jun 18, 2010

...to start discussion #24715 about ridiculous rates, So I assume.

Here's the thing:

Let's say you have a nice profile page here on ProZ.com or whatever portal. You state your various university degrees, your certifications, your many years of experience in a highly specialized field. Your expertise. Decades of previous employment in leading positions that indicate 6-digit salaries. Now you put all this know-how to work as a translator.

And here comes some [bleep] who thinks you will reveal all this know-how that took decades to build up for 3 cents a word.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
I am not comfortable... Jun 18, 2010

neither with the budget nor with the fact that this is being published in the forums.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comfortable with the budget?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search