Thread poster: Jay Kim
Jay Kim
Jay Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 01:19
English to Korean
+ ...
Jun 24, 2010

I was approached by a Swedish agency for a new project of technical translation (eng>kor) in automotive engineering and possible long-term collaboration. They confirmed the text would be very technical. They asked me to inform my rate and take a translation test that will be paid like a ‘real job’. It seems the agency is well-established, professional and enjoys excellent payment record.

I am not familiar with market rate in Sweden. Moreover I do not take on regular translation
... See more
I was approached by a Swedish agency for a new project of technical translation (eng>kor) in automotive engineering and possible long-term collaboration. They confirmed the text would be very technical. They asked me to inform my rate and take a translation test that will be paid like a ‘real job’. It seems the agency is well-established, professional and enjoys excellent payment record.

I am not familiar with market rate in Sweden. Moreover I do not take on regular translation jobs very often as I am focused on linguistic validation projects for long-term clients. I am wondering if €0.12 – 0.14 rage is too high in Sweden. Well, I know jobs in my pair are rare in Europe but if someone can enlighten me with rate in eng > jap, that would still be helpful.

Thanks,

Jay

[Edited at 2010-06-25 07:57 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:19
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
exotics Jun 24, 2010

Hi Jay,

it's a question of offer and demand - if they come looking for you in Korea it either means they are looking for cheaper translator or they want high quality, native speakers living in the country...
0,12 - 0,14 seems very reasonable / a little on the low side maybe, if it is a direct client.

Good luck with the client!
Ed

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am talking about agency.. not direct client Jun 25, 2010

Thanks Ed,

Is 0,12 - 0,14 low for a Swedish agency specializing in techinical translation for automotive industries? The project would be very technical one. My rate starts from 0,12 for non-techincal text.

J.

Tom Ellett (X)
Tom Ellett (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:19
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Rare pair > high rate Jun 29, 2010

It's a different segment of the market, but for publication-quality marketing translations from Swedish to English I currently charge my Swedish agency clients 1.60 SEK/word (about $0.20/€0.16 at current rates).

So I agree with Ed that you could possibly go higher, especially given the technical subject matter and less common target language.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Jay Kim
South Korea
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input, Tom. Much appreciated. Jun 29, 2010

Of course, my pair is rarity in Sweden.

It really helps to know how much others charge even though we work in different segment of the market.

Jay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swedish rate for technical translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »