Hourly rate should include travelling time and expenses?
Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jul 6, 2010

Another interesting job posting (check English > Slovak interpreting jobs to see it in full):

Key points: we require an hourly rate with no minimum charge. Your rate should include travelling time and expenses.


Let's forget "no minimum charge" requirement for now, but how exactly can one quote hourly rate including travelling time and expenses without knowing where s/he will be travelling??? Can anyone please 'enlighten' me?
Apologies if it's dead obvious.

[Edited at 2010-07-06 18:35 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-06 19:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-07 09:58 GMT]


 

Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:27
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Travel time/ Expenses Jul 6, 2010

As far as I know, you keep receipts for travel expenses to be reimbursed, and you'll need to know where you are going to estimate travel time!

 

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 05:27
French to English
+ ...
I don't think they pay Jul 6, 2010

I read this as they don't pay travelling time or expenses - your hourly rate should cover it.

This, along with the no minimum charge, means they can send you to Outer Mongolia at your expense for a one hour job and just pay you for one hour.

T.

[Edited at 2010-07-06 18:40 GMT]


 

J-Gabriel  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
my 2¢ Jul 6, 2010

On my side, I guess you just have to state your hourly rate and remind that the timer starts from the moment you leave your home and that it stops when you are back.

Electricians do that... why not interpretors?


Another solution is: I will tell you how much I ask as soon as I am told where I'm going.

[Modifié le 2010-07-06 19:23 GMT]


 

Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
What's the problem? Jul 6, 2010

All they are saying is "We won't pay for your travel expenses, so please make sure to quote a high enough rate which covers all". I think this is only fair enough.

And they won't send you anywhere against your will either, because surely the decision of whether or not to accept a particular assignment will still be up to you.

So if you have experience with this kind of work you probably have some kind of idea of how long these hospital assigments usually take. Then you add the time you are prepared to travel (up to you!) and you will be able to work out an hourly rate which hopefully suits both you and the client. Simples! icon_wink.gif


 

Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
:) Jul 6, 2010

I read this job ad today and I actually thought it is only targeting the interpreters living opposite the hospital (as it is regarding a new NHS contract):))) I can`t see it working otherwise...

 

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting formula but... Jul 7, 2010

...are you sure that's what they have in mind?

It's not uncommon that I travel 1 - 1.5 hours each way for assignments in London (and I'm prepared to do so). I charge £25/hour for interpreting, £15/hour travelling/waiting times plus I top up my Oyster card by £5.00. This gives me rate of £60 per hour.
You might be right, but something is telling me it's not what they would like to hear, not to mention that I find such quoting weird.icon_smile.gif

Thomas Pfann wrote:
All they are saying is "We won't pay for your travel expenses, so please make sure to quote a high enough rate which covers all". I think this is only fair enough.

And they won't send you anywhere against your will either, because surely the decision of whether or not to accept a particular assignment will still be up to you.

So if you have experience with this kind of work you probably have some kind of idea of how long these hospital assigments usually take. Then you add the time you are prepared to travel (up to you!) and you will be able to work out an hourly rate which hopefully suits both you and the client. Simples! icon_wink.gif


 

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:27
French to English
That's how I understand it Jul 7, 2010

Rad Graban wrote:

...are you sure that's what they have in mind?

It's not uncommon that I travel 1 - 1.5 hours each way for assignments in London (and I'm prepared to do so). I charge £25/hour for interpreting, £15/hour travelling/waiting times plus I top up my Oyster card by £5.00. This gives me rate of £60 per hour.
You might be right, but something is telling me it's not what they would like to hear, not to mention that I find such quoting weird.icon_smile.gif

My understanding is how Thomas sees it.
Course, if the average assignment was 2 hours, it would be 42.50 (85 / 2). Three hours, 36.66 an hour (110 / 3). Although for 3 hours + 2 hours travel, you'd need to factor in a meal, perhaps, so perhaps that would take you back over 40 quid an hour.

If, as was suggested, the regular assignment was in Ulan Bator, then for a one hour job, I imagine it would be in the ballpark of £1,000 an hour (assuming it takes all day to get there, another one to get back, and the return flight costs about 700 or so - I have no idea, tbh !). Two-hour jobs, the rate is 500 an hour.

Clearly (I think), you could calculate some kind of average - not forgeting that Leicester is easier to reach than north Lincolnshire from London, and short notice train fares are fundamentally extortion.

However, they sound to me like a bunch of tightwads, and that the time would be more profitably spent picking fluff from between your toes.


 

Lucia Moreno Velo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:27
Member (2010)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I would add the time of travel to my hours worked Jul 7, 2010

Jean-Gabriel Piette wrote:

On my side, I guess you just have to state your hourly rate and remind that the timer starts from the moment you leave your home and that it stops when you are back.

Electricians do that... why not interpretors?


Another solution is: I will tell you how much I ask as soon as I am told where I'm going.

[Modifié le 2010-07-06 19:23 GMT]



This is always what I do.
Lucía


 

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't help myself but to think that.... Jul 7, 2010

....this agency has won the contract another one was not able to implement (see my thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/162296-amazing_rates_from_the_agency_which_just_won_a_big_contract.html) - same geographical area and same area of expertise.
I hope I'm right and that agencies realise interpreters are not prepared to work for peanuts any more.


 

Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Wow Jul 7, 2010

You know Rad,

When I read your post that was exactly the same agency I thought of but I didn't get into details!
Last Friday they called for an assignment early morning on Monday. I calculated my travel time, itinerery... SO... 3 hours travel + £11 travel expences + 1 hour interpreting = £25 according to them (Eventhough Code 4 says £28!!!)... for all that hassle...
I told the coordinator: "I am willing to take the assignment but only if you cover my travel expences and pay a minimum fee travel time". The reply was:"Well...we don't... But if we get really stuck..." I only thought "Well as for me...I will call you back only if I get REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck".

Anyway... I bet that when they realise how stuck they are their next ad will be "Looking for interpreters with postal code XXX XXX"... hehe


 

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 05:27
French to English
+ ...
Bingo! Jul 8, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:
However, they sound to me like a bunch of tightwads, and that the time would be more profitably spent picking fluff from between your toes.


Yup...


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly rate should include travelling time and expenses?

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search