PL-ENG-GER rates worldwide
Thread poster: atm
atm
Local time: 18:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 10, 2010

Hello everyone,
I have just finished my studies and I would like to get employed in some translation agencies at the beginning to improve my skills. Some agencies asked me to suggest my rates in EUR, GBP and USD (each agency asked for different currencies). My native language is Polish and I would translate in the combinations English-Polish-German since I know these three languages. One agency suggested me the rate 0.012$/word and to me it looks a little bit slavery rate. In my country we give rates per 1800 marks and I have no idea how to relate it to words (I could divide and multiply it but I don't know the market realities of the UK or the USA). I know there are some threads similar to mine but nobody gives (at least I couldn't have found it) average rates that could be suggested to translation agencies. I would be grateful for any help.
arek

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Rates are from - to Jul 10, 2010

And you cannot do anything against that.
But what you can do, is quite simple:
Calculate your cost of linig, very adequate - include all you would need, a flat, insurance, telephone, car, holiday and so on. This is what you MUST have at the end o the month. Ad what you need to buy clothing and furniture.
Do not forget, you need a computer a lot of software and such things. You will also need to refres such thing sfrom time to time.
Then add the amount you would like to have to spend for fun. At the end add at least 10% for any additional things you can't think of now.
Then go and divide that amount by the number of hours you can work in average every single month. In the end divide that amount by the number of words you can comfortably and always produce per hour. This will deliver your personal word rate. And it varies from - to, just like I told you before.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Proz Tools Jul 11, 2010

In the Proz Tools, you have a section on "Community Rates" where you can have a look at a nice graph depicting the Proz community-wide distribution of "per word" rates for every language pair you can imagine. Just remember that EN>PL rate distribution may not be identical with that of PL>EN.
And it's not true that in Poland everybody applies the 1800-character basis for fee calculation. Any Polish agency with not-exclusively-Polish customer base will easily switch to per-word rates, per-hour rates or anything else you suggest. If they refuse that, they are simply lazy - or have never seen a foreign customer. Either case makes such an agency unattractive as a job source, doesn't it?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean in-house position? Jul 11, 2010

Unless they pay you a monthly salary you are not employed by a translation agency. You are a freelance translator and manage your own business, pay tax from your income and all expenses, also holidays and insurance.
When living in Poland, you enjoy the lowest costs for food in the EU, as far as I know. So you are able to work cheaper than most of your colleagues, and customers know that. Unless you have a speciality that qualifies for top-notch rates, you probably have to take what is offered to you at least for the first few years.
There are many Polish people that know English and German well enough to start translating into Polish, so first of all you should look for a special field and study it well.

Regards
Heinrich

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
ProZ.com Rate Calculator Jul 11, 2010

As Iza said already, there are some ProZ.com tools that help you determine your rate.

Here are some related links:

ProZ.com rate calculator

Community rates

And the helpful wiki article, written for freelance translators in your situation

Determining your rates and fees as a translator

Good luck with calculating!

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
just so that the rate issue is clear Jul 12, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When living in Poland, you enjoy the lowest costs for food in the EU, as far as I know. So you are able to work cheaper than most of your colleagues, and customers know that. Unless you have a speciality that qualifies for top-notch rates, you probably have to take what is offered to you at least for the first few years.

While I do agree that realistic rates are lower than in the West, the 0.012$/word that Arek mentioned is a rate from another planet. Sure, some people will charge that, it's just that I don't even want to think what kind of quality they deliver. He could make this kind of money cleaning apartments.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
The way forward Jul 12, 2010

He could make this kind of money cleaning apartments.

I am convinced that at the beginning of the career most of us would be better of cleaning apartments (especially if you consider hours spent waiting for an assignment or on marketing). Still if you want to be a translator you need to start somewhere and cleaning anything won't bring you closer to a career in translation.

I don't suggest working for 0.012$/word but I think that at the beginning a lot of flexibility is a must.

Cheers
Stanislaw

[Edited at 2010-07-12 12:00 GMT]

atm
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
further... Jul 12, 2010

Thank you guys for your posts, they are really helpful. Talking about this 0.012$/word - I have about three years of experience in translating for Polish customers as a freelance translator, however I had a gap year in translating since I devoted myself to more lucrative and less demanding teaching in EU projects Now, as the projects finished, I would like to come back to translation and gain some experience in one or two particular fields, i.e. EU documents and renewable energy. Do you know how to start translating in these fields? I had internship as in-house translator in Ministry of Regional Development and I translated EU documents. Do you know any translation agencies dealing with these subjects?
Thank you once again for your comments.

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
puzzled Jul 12, 2010

Please understand me correctly. I am not checking anything, but I just got confused when relating your 2 posts:

atm wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have just finished my studies and I would like to get employed in some translation agencies at the beginning to improve my skills.

and

atm wrote:

I have about three years of experience in translating for Polish customers as a freelance translator, however I had a gap year in translating since I devoted myself to more lucrative and less demanding teaching in EU projects Now, as the projects finished, I would like to come back to translation and gain some experience in one or two particular fields, i.e. EU documents and renewable energy

So you worked in EU projects while still being a student and translated during your studies as well? How many years do you study in Poland. I am just curious

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PL-ENG-GER rates worldwide

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search