Advice on non-paying outsourcer/client
Thread poster: Lora Boisseau

Lora Boisseau  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
French to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2010

Hi All,

A client (who is themselves an outsourcer I believe) owes me nearly EUR 6000, some invoices for which date back over 6 months.

In the past, the client in question always paid up eventually, which is why I allowed the invoices to build up. However, this time they are pleading poverty.

I don't want to go so far as to give them negative feedback here, but also don't quite know what to do as the funds are still owed!

I am in the UK and the client is in France.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

[Edited at 2010-07-14 19:37 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Fly Jul 14, 2010

For EUR 6000 I would hop on a plane and knock on their door! And won't move until they pay. I am serious. I mean it.

[Edited at 2010-07-14 19:11 GMT]

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
European Order for Payment procedure Jul 14, 2010

Advice here on recovering debts from other EU Member States:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1083487199&type=RESOURCES

Lora Boisseau  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
experience of EEO? Jul 14, 2010

Thanks Luisa and Karen. Does anyone have any experience of obtaining an EEO?

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bang on the door Jul 14, 2010

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

For EUR 6000 I would hop on a plane and knock on their door! And won't move until they pay. I am serious. I mean it.

[Edited at 2010-07-14 19:11 GMT]

Luisa is right. Get over there and start banging on their door.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Door Jul 15, 2010

Bang on that door. And bring a couple of brothers and your boyfriend with you to help bang louder.

Other things to do: hire a collections agency, hire a lawyer, file a lawsuit, send emails, call, fax, not necessarily in that order.

[Edited at 2010-07-15 00:09 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bang the door! Jul 15, 2010

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Absolutely!! I'd fly to them without warning and would sit in their office until I was paid at least a half of the sum and received a signed contract with a commitment to pay the rest in 30 days.

Darko Kolega  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2009)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Non-disclosure agreement Jul 15, 2010

Hi!

Which type of agreement/contract you signed with them?? There are some forms we sometimes sign including possibility of not being paid if outsourcer is not paid by his client?? Is this called non-disclosure agreement or??

So, take a look at your contract and all points inside....

Normally they must pay you - they went to store, overloaded trolley and came to the cassa - and don't wat to pay because they are poor. Only poor thing about it is their excuse and way of handling this issue - they live in France, not in Somalia or Albania to be so poor! I will attack them by all means I have!

Good luck!

Your colleague Darko

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hi Lora, Jul 15, 2010

I would give a negative feedback (if deserved) for less than 6,000 EUR.

A BlueBoard entry might even make this outsourcer more inclined to pay you the money they owe you. And your fellow colleagues would be warned.

Maybe the following link can help you.

http://www.proz.com/forum/german/174970-pariser_agentur_zahlt_nicht.html

Good luck,
Gudrun

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You are a business Jul 15, 2010

Please, please act professionally - you aren't a charity nor are you a bank that gives interest-free loans.

What other businesses do you know who would let you run up such a bill with them and then say "sorry, I can't pay"? They would take legal proceedings, send a debt collector or the heavies or they'd come and rip out your insulation, take away your car, take out your wiring - whatever you had contracted them to do.

In my opinion, you should stop being so "nice" and put your relationship with your clients on a correct, professional footing. It could well be that they are having cashflow problems at the moment so perhaps you should be flexible as regards instalments. After all, your aim is to be paid, not help the company into liquidation where you will undoubtedly lose most if not all. But once you have agreed a payment plan (with interest to cover delays) they should stick to it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on non-paying outsourcer/client

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search