Thread poster: Daphne b
Daphne b  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:18
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Jan 21, 2004

An agency owed me money for a project done last summer. I had sent the invoice, exchanged several e-mails with the Project Manager, had been assured that I would soon be paid, but ... no money ever arrived. Some 6 months had gone by and yesterday (better late than never), I decided to post an entry in the Blue Board. Guess what? Payment was made - pronto!
So go ahead and use it - no agency likes to be put on a black list.
It's indeed a very effective tool!

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:18
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The BlueBoard is not a black list... Jan 21, 2004

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:
...I decided to post an entry in the Blue Board.
Guess what? Payment was made - pronto!

So go ahead and use it - no agency likes to be put on a black list.
It's indeed a very effective tool!

Dear Daphne,
I'm pleased to see that the BlueBoard has contributed to get your monies, and the team of moderators that works on the BlueBoard has received many comments and feedback similar to yours.
Many have had similar experiences, obtaining a prompt payment, but many more have probably avoided unpleasant experiences just looking at the agency's history before accepting work from them.

As a minor note, we don't like to call the Blue Board a 'black list'.

We prompt all the site member to enter any feedback about their customers (in particular translation agencies, not private customers) as to provide all colleagues with a source of information about the customers' business and payment practices.

The feedback can be good or bad, and the service is neither a white list nor a black list. It is... 'blue'

Of course, in case of businesses receiving multiple negative comments, all translators dealing with them are better adviced to take extra care...

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2004-01-21 08:13]

Daphne b  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:18
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly... Jan 21, 2004

Actually, we prompt all the site member to enter their feedback about their customers (in particular translation agencies, not private customers) as to provide all colleagues with a source of information about their business and payment practices.

Of course, in case of business receiving multiple negative comments, all translators dealing with them are adviced to take extra care...

Precisely - that's what I meant. Perhaps "black list" was too harsh a way to put it; perhaps I should have said "no agency likes to get negative feedback". Anyway, it was not my main point... My main point was exactly what you are saying, Gianfranco: that the Blue Board is meant to cover payment practices and, as such, to help colleagues decide whether they want to work for a certain agency or not. And it can put pressure on bad payers.

[Edited at 2004-01-21 08:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yes, the Blue Board works!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search