Registered charity sends post-dated cheque
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:20
French to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2010

I did some work recently for what is supposedly a registered UK charity and, after a couple of excuses such as people going on holiday, they've finally sent me a cheque. But the cheque, as well as being made out in the wrong name, is post-dated. I haven't read through the Charity Commission regulations yet (and am not sure how much time I have to do so...), but this is starting to sound like malpractice. I really expected registered charities to behave a bit better, so wondered what other people's experiences have been, and would you consider reporting this kind of practice to the Charity Commission?

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
French to English
Ripped off, since you ask Jul 28, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

I really expected registered charities to behave a bit better, so wondered what other people's experiences have been,

Was led a merry email dance, first the bank said my bank a/c number was wrong or some old claptrap, and the bank was a bus ride away for my poor client so it was such an effort, blah blah, then the old trout's mother died or was seriously ill or some similar tosh* (I remember thinking uncharitable karma-related thoughts) and she (the client) only replied to emails once a week if at all and when she did it was still to claim the bank a/c number was wrong. In the end, I gave up. Thing is, if she had asked for it to be "pro bono" (**) from the outset, I would probably have done it for nothing anyway. Luckily, this is, so far, the one and only time I have been stiched up, touch wood.

* the frailty of translators' mothers' health is a constant source of bewilderment. Is the raising of a future translator particularly taxing, do you think, so leave them all so very infirm in their dotage? Seriously, about 50% of the people I have outsourced work to have claimed maternal health reasons as an excuse for late delivery. Astonishing.

** Which, in the event, it absolutely literally was, in her case. One of those two words is the surname she uses.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Get the police involved Jul 28, 2010

Cheating with checks is a crime! Maybe inform the press as well. I guess they could need some negative publicity.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-28 11:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registered charity sends post-dated cheque

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search