Abiodun Adeleye
Abiodun Adeleye  Identity Verified
Nigeria
Local time: 16:15
English to Yoruba
+ ...
Aug 6, 2010

Hello All,

I worked for a translation company based in UK as a Yoruba translator based in Nigeria. I have been working for them since 2008. Their contact knows paypal or moneybooker is not available for my country and made payment through Western Union (the charges was deducted from my money) for jobs done in 2008.

I worked for them also in 2009 and have sent several mails for payment to be made. They promised to pay last year December 30. They didn’t. I sent several
... See more
Hello All,

I worked for a translation company based in UK as a Yoruba translator based in Nigeria. I have been working for them since 2008. Their contact knows paypal or moneybooker is not available for my country and made payment through Western Union (the charges was deducted from my money) for jobs done in 2008.

I worked for them also in 2009 and have sent several mails for payment to be made. They promised to pay last year December 30. They didn’t. I sent several mails and there was no response until recently. But they are insisting on paying only through paypal or moneybooker. This has been going on for some time. I gave them an option of Bank transfer and they are yet to respond.

Anyone with an idea on what I can do?

Thank you,
Biodun
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:15
German to Swedish
+ ...
Her Majesty's Court Service is at your disposal Aug 6, 2010

Delinquent customers are handled the same way in every country: you initiate a civil court proceeding.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

I don't know the details, b
... See more
Delinquent customers are handled the same way in every country: you initiate a civil court proceeding.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm
https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

I don't know the details, but this type of proceeding need not be expensive or complicated.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:15
English to Thai
+ ...
Collecting agency in UK Aug 6, 2010

Biodun wrote:
I worked for them also in 2009 and have sent several mails for payment to be made. They promised to pay last year December 30. They didn’t. I sent several mails and there was no response until recently. But they are insisting on paying only through paypal or moneybooker. This has been going on for some time. I gave them an option of Bank transfer and they are yet to respond.

In UK, collecting agency business works like a law office to collect payment with some premium. But this should be the last resort when you fails to get payment through other method of notices. At that time, search Internet for a proper one for collection of outstanding amounts.

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:15
Italian to Danish
+ ...
So, take their word for it! Aug 6, 2010

Dear Biodun,

If they insist they will only pay via Paypal or Moneybookers - then get somebody which you know and trust in another country and with a Paypal/Moneybookers account receive the money. Upon the receipt this person could send the amount to you via a bank transfer or Western Union.

That is, of course, if this agency actually wants to pay what they owe you!

Good luck!

... See more
Dear Biodun,

If they insist they will only pay via Paypal or Moneybookers - then get somebody which you know and trust in another country and with a Paypal/Moneybookers account receive the money. Upon the receipt this person could send the amount to you via a bank transfer or Western Union.

That is, of course, if this agency actually wants to pay what they owe you!

Good luck!

Dinny
Collapse

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Diplomacy. Aug 6, 2010

As Dinny states, refuse of payment seems not an issue anymore. If PayPal and Moneybookers are not available for you (as a verified individual) Mooneybookers can work with you with a bank account over your country and standard fees. Register on Moneybookers and update your bank account, they will deposit your payment few days later. England offers as well, several pre paid cards (ie.http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/default.aspx)... You may try to get one of those and deposits can be loaded there, your... See more
As Dinny states, refuse of payment seems not an issue anymore. If PayPal and Moneybookers are not available for you (as a verified individual) Mooneybookers can work with you with a bank account over your country and standard fees. Register on Moneybookers and update your bank account, they will deposit your payment few days later. England offers as well, several pre paid cards (ie.http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/default.aspx)... You may try to get one of those and deposits can be loaded there, your card can be manage outside England at any teller machine with you PIN (easy access over the phone). I recommend you first, contact MB support and explain your case. Good luck.Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
My experience with Western Union Aug 6, 2010

I've only had to use Western Union once, and actually not for business -- it was just to lend a student friend in Mexico a bit of money. It was quite expensive and the whole process was fairly tedious, involving a call both to Western Union themselves and also to the fraud department of my credit card. They also asked me if I knew the recipient personally-- I don't know if that means that the process is even more long-winded if you don't.

All in all, I can sort out understand why so
... See more
I've only had to use Western Union once, and actually not for business -- it was just to lend a student friend in Mexico a bit of money. It was quite expensive and the whole process was fairly tedious, involving a call both to Western Union themselves and also to the fraud department of my credit card. They also asked me if I knew the recipient personally-- I don't know if that means that the process is even more long-winded if you don't.

All in all, I can sort out understand why somebody might be quite keen to use a different payment system if possible-- I think it might be worth perusing with them what the actual reason is and see if you can persuade them. It may not be that they can't, just that they'd rather not.

Failing that, I know that Nigeria isn't exactly renowned for its banking infrastructure, but if they just send you a boring old cheque is there really nothing your bank can do with it?
Collapse

Abiodun Adeleye
Abiodun Adeleye  Identity Verified
Nigeria
English to Yoruba
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got paid Sep 15, 2010

Hello All,

I sincerely appreciate your help through your response to my question. I finally got paid. I got a friend in UK with paypay account, sent it to them and payment was made.

Thank you all.

Biodun

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I get my money?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »