Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2010

Friends,

A client is about to do a Western Union transfer for a modest amount from Mexico to me (in the United States). I've searched the ProZ forum posts about options for transferring money. Citibank had a program that would let you transfer money to Mexico using a credit card, but it's been discontinued.

Are these the only options:

Western Union (very expensive and difficult to retrieve the money)
My bank: Chase ($15 charge unless doing free "rapid cash" with Banorte)
PayPal (not reliable, and one Mexican client told me that the web site wouldn't let him open an account with them)

Because Banorte and Chase have this "rapid cash" agreement, I'd be particularly interested in knowing if other US banks have similar agreements but with different Mexican banks.

I'd also like to know if anyone has had good experiences with PayPal between Mexico and the US.

Thanks!!!
Patricia

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check Aug 9, 2010

If you don't mind crossing the border (myself, I avoid it these days), you could have a check mailed to you in pesos on a bank having a branch in Nogales, Son., not so far from where you are. Just go to the bank and cash it.

mitko999
Local time: 13:59
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try MoneyGram Aug 9, 2010

Dear Patricia,

have you concidered using a MoneyGram? They seem to have a good network in Mexico - you need to check whether the fees are acceptable, though.

Best,

mitko999

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you have a colleague in Mexico? Aug 9, 2010

Sometimes it can be the option.
Your client makes a local payment to your colleague, who in due turn will arrange for paypal or moneybookers transfer to you.

If some of your friends is on a trip to Mexico he or she can collect the money there and bring them home to you.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tax issues? Aug 9, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

Sometimes it can be the option.
Your client makes a local payment to your colleague, who in due turn will arrange for paypal or moneybookers transfer to you.

If some of your friends is on a trip to Mexico he or she can collect the money there and bring them home to you.

Sergei,

Thanks for suggesting this, but I think that the Internal Revenue Service (tax department) here wouldn't consider it legal. My daughter lives in Mexico, and if she received the payment, she'd be liable for taxes in Mexico, and then I'd have to declare the money to the IRS when I got it--so we'd be taxed twice.

Do you use PayPal? What do you think of it? I don't know if it works in Mexico.

Patricia

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
let's see if I understand ... Aug 9, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:

If you don't mind crossing the border (myself, I avoid it these days), you could have a check mailed to you in pesos on a bank having a branch in Nogales, Son., not so far from where you are. Just go to the bank and cash it.

Henry,

Would the check be mailed to me here in the U.S. and then I'd cross over to cash it? I think that there is a bank at Wal-Mart that cashes Mexican checks (on this side of the border).

But isn't the big problem that the mailed check would probably never arrive? I've never had any luck with regular post between Mexico and here ...

Thanks!
Patricia

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mailed to you in US Aug 10, 2010

Yes, once I had a check mailed to me from Mexico to the US. As a matter of fact, I requested the check be made out in my daughter's name because I was not here at home. She just went over and cashed it.

It should make it. Less likely, I think, for letters with checks going to Mexico.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
French to English
+ ...
Paypal in Mexico Aug 10, 2010

Patricia Rosas wrote:
I'd also like to know if anyone has had good experiences with PayPal between Mexico and the US.

I've had "moderately" good experiences between PayPal in Mexico and other countries. We had no problem setting up an account with my Mexican partner's credit card and were able to send money up to the limit (about 1000 USD or so as I recall) before you have to "verify" the card. At that point, we had problems-- the Paypal system claimed an error occurred at the point of charging the small amount to the card for verification purposes, but the credit card company said the transaction had gone through.

Incidentally, from your Paypal account can you not set up a link to let them pay you by credit card? With "buy now" buttons/links, the person paying you doesn't actually need to have a Paypal account-- they can just enter their card details.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to everyone! Aug 10, 2010

I checked out Moneygram, and its charges seem reasonable, but I need to compare them with Paypal and Western Union. fwiw I found the site very easy to use.

Thanks to Henry for explaining that the check came by mail--I've never dared try that.

Thanks to Neil, too, for his explanations about Paypal.

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

money transfers from Mexico--options?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search