Salary survey for translators
Thread poster: natalykelly

natalykelly

Local time: 07:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 19, 2010

Common Sense Advisory is conducting a survey for individuals working in the translation field.

Take the survey, and receive a complimentary summary of the findings:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SPVPCTW

Also, you may download a free report on average rates for interpreters in North America by registering (at no charge) on our website, www.commonsenseadvisory.com.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:12
English to German
+ ...
"Salary"? Aug 22, 2010

Hi Nataly,
If you are you looking for responses from employees working as translators only, I believe you should specify this in the survey. If not (and that's what I assume), I believe that the concept of a 'salary' is inappropriate in the context of freelance work.

Thanks for looking into this - please don't hesitate to contact me through my profile, or at ralf dot lemster at lsp dot net.

Best regards,
Ralf

natalykelly

Local time: 07:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Compensation survey (also for non-salaried workers) Aug 22, 2010

Hi Ralf - this survey is not just for salaried workers, but for freelancers as well.

Any questions that are for salaried workers have an option that says "does not apply" for non-salaried workers. However, this survey is not just for translators, but for all individuals working in the translation industry.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions whatsoever.

Thanks,
Nataly
(nataly@commonsenseadvisory.com).

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:12
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Done Aug 23, 2010

natalykelly wrote:
Hi Ralf - this survey is not just for salaried workers, but for freelancers as well.
Any questions that are for salaried workers have an option that says "does not apply" for non-salaried workers. However, this survey is not just for translators, but for all individuals working in the translation industry.
Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions whatsoever.

I have replied to this survey. But compensation structure for freelancers is far more divided precisely e.g. translation, interpretation, proofreading, editing, QM, PM, glossary buiding.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:12
English to German
+ ...
"Compensation survey" = correct Aug 23, 2010

Hi Nataly,
Thanks for the quick response.

natalykelly wrote:

That's what I thought - but then, why not call it a "compensation survey"?

The problem with posting something called a "salary survey" is that it raises an incorrect notion of employment. Bear in mind that numerous freelancers have obvious problems accepting their status as independent businesses, as indicated by references to "employers" (as opposed to "customers") and "salary" (as opposed to "income"). This misconception has consequences, such as a widespread willingness to surrender one's right to set a price for a service rendered by an independent business.

In which case the second part of "Salary survey for translators" might need editing as well...
icon_wink.gif

Kind regards,
Ralf
ralf dot lemster at lsp dot net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary survey for translators

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search