Competitive rates for technical translation
Thread poster: Dianne Marie

Dianne Marie
Italy
Local time: 19:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 1, 2010

What would be a reasonable rate for a new european client who requires the translation of one/two annual issues of their association magazine? They also require other translations, technical and non, during the year. Is a rate in euros per cartelle the best way to make my offer?

serge awono  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 19:11
English to French
+ ...
It depends on how technical the text is and the taxes you pay Sep 1, 2010

I think this decision is up to you...But in general, Translators charge XXX/per word or XXX/per hour or even XXX/1000 words.
Besides, all these depend on how technical the document may be and the country you are living in, Taxes you pay...etc. As for me, I charge USD 0.07 for very technical texts.

I think this will help,

Best wishes,

Serge

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
United States Sep 1, 2010

In the United States, we would not touch a technical translation for less than .14 a word and a non-technical text for less than .12 a word for agencies (any less and you would be better off staying in bed) and .20 - .22 a word for direct clients (as a bare minimum). However, I think rates in Italy tend to be slightly lower.

[Edited at 2010-09-01 17:25 GMT]

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:11
French to English
+ ...
Also depends on client's needs Sep 1, 2010

Don't forget that it also depends on how much time you need to spend on the text to give the *client* the quality that they require and on the purpose of the text. What kind of articles are in the magazine? Are the articles straightforward and informative with the primary concern being technical accuracy or, do you need to spend additional time making the articles "rhetorically convincing". Probably only you and the client between you can really decide.

I would personally expect a direct client in Europe to budget for much more than 0.07 USD/word for a technical text if they're really concerned about quality. (Of course, if they *just* want it done on the cheap, that's another story.)

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
Okey Sep 1, 2010

Dianne Marie wrote:

What would be a reasonable rate for a new european client who requires the translation of one/two annual issues of their association magazine? They also require other translations, technical and non, during the year. Is a rate in euros per cartelle the best way to make my offer?

Okey, what would be a reasonable price for a car?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:11
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
View of an engineer Sep 2, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

Don't forget that it also depends on how much time you need to spend on the text to give the *client* the quality that they require and on the purpose of the text. What kind of articles are in the magazine? Are the articles straightforward and informative with the primary concern being technical accuracy or, do you need to spend additional time making the articles "rhetorically convincing". Probably only you and the client between you can really decide.

I continue technical translation for over 30 years since my education background is engineering. I am certain my technical writing is a commanding tool for the clients with many engineers who read my translation. My pricing level never diminishes for many years even with entry of many new translators as my competitors: their backgrounds are not in technical. Last week I had to translate and mend many expressions of a source text being written by an engineer but not good at writing skill. I added surcharge to the job to amend wrong points. My mending practice can be irregular, but I trust in my skill and knowledge, and am happy to mend poor quality source documents.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Competitive rates for technical translation

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search