Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 2, 2010

I received this message in Italian through ProZ. Before I respond, could someone please tell me how much "8 euros a cartella da 1500 caratteri" would be per word? Judging by the rest of the message, I surmise that it cannot be much. The way I calculate it, it would be around US$ .03 a word??????

Translation of message:

"I am writing to you in order to propose a collaboration with us. We usually translate manuals and we pay "8 euros a cartella da 1500 caratteri." Perhaps this does not seem like a lot to you, but consider the fact that we can provide you with so much work each month, thus guaranteeing you continual work. In addition, we guarantee you very fast payments (we usually pay within 10-15 days at the end of the month). Try us out for 1-2 months and then you will see that you will enjoy working with us.
Let me know what you think."

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:24 GMT]

Desdemone (X)
Local time: 16:18
French to English
Hmmm Sep 2, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I received this message in Italian through ProZ. Before I respond, could someone please tell me how much "8 euros a cartella da 1500 caratteri" would be in words? Judging by the rest of the message, I surmise that it cannot be much. The way I calculate it, it would be around .03 a word??????

Translation of message:
"I am writing to you in order to propose a collaboration with us. We usually translate manuals and we pay "8 euros a cartella da 1500 caratteri." Perhaps this does not seem like a lot to you, but consider the fact that we can provide you with so much work each month, thus guaranteeing you continual work. In addition, we guarantee you very fast payments (we usually pay within 10-15 days at the end of the month). Try us out for 1-2 months and then you will see that you will enjoy working with us.
Let me know what you think."

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:21 GMT]

I think the first part of the third sentence provides a clueicon_smile.gif

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
4 cents Sep 2, 2010

My calculation: about 4 US cents per word, very low.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:18
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I make it 0.0336 Sep 2, 2010

1500 characters divided by about 6.3 = 238 words.

EUR 8.00 divided among 238 words = EUR 0.0336.

USD 0.0429.

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:32 GMT]

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 2, 2010

Thank you for the information. Now I will "let them know what I think".

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:34 GMT]

ElectraV  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
1500 characters : 250 words Sep 2, 2010

This is according to the European Commission, I just found out yesterday talking to a project manager. Spaces are not included.

[Edited at 2010-09-02 15:53 GMT]

David Palmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
Arabic to English
+ ...
Pass on this. Sep 2, 2010

Hi Jeff, This is only my opinion but I would respectfully pass on this offer. Something about it reads as strange to me. J/S icon_smile.gif

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Enjoy working for them Sep 2, 2010

You'll enjoy working for them so much that you'll be willing to pay THEM for the privilegeicon_smile.gif)

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Passion needed Sep 2, 2010

Surely, this is an opportunity to display your 'passion' for translation.

icon_wink.gif

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
EUR 8 per cartella... Sep 2, 2010

... is less than half the average paid for IT-EN by the Italian agencies I'm familiar with.

FWIW, I calculate 220 words per cartella, which would make this EUR 0.036 per word or just over $0.045 per word.

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
turn the table Sep 2, 2010

consider the fact that we can provide you with so much work each month, thus guaranteeing you continual work.

icon_smile.gif translation to plain English: We will try to keep you very busy at this ridiculous rate so that you have no time to accept more profitable offers.

Here is a proposed reply:

"Dear sirs,

thank you very much for contacting me. I believe that your rates could offer an exciting business opportunity. I normally charge EUR 0.14 for high quality translation. If you can indeed deliver high quality specialized translation in my field and language combination for EUR 0.03, I would very much like to send you jobs which I could resell to my customers. I understand that your translation selling price will be higher than the purchase price you offered. Send me your best offer and we will go from there."

This is firmly tongue in cheek but if they take it seriously it could be very interesting to learn their selling price.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent reply Sep 2, 2010

Milos Prudek wrote:

"Dear sirs,

thank you very much for contacting me. I believe that your rates could offer an exciting business opportunity. I normally charge EUR 0.14 for high quality translation. If you can indeed deliver high quality specialized translation in my field and language combination for EUR 0.03, I would very much like to send you jobs which I could resell to my customers. I understand that your translation selling price will be higher than the purchase price you offered. Send me your best offer and we will go from there."

This is firmly tongue in cheek but if they take it seriously it could be very interesting to learn their selling price.

Very nicely put Milos.

icon_razz.gif

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
I will absolutely copy your phrases! Sep 3, 2010

Milos Prudek wrote:

"Dear sirs,

Very exciting words. I hope I can copy these sentences for my new contacts in certain translation agencies. Milos, will you charge fee for copyright?

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Milos Prudek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
text improved Sep 3, 2010

Milos, will you charge fee for copyright?

Of course not. I want you all to use it. It is not even mine, I saw this idea a few years ago in a forum and distilled it.

To make it sound genuine, omit the "I normally charge EUR 0.14 for high quality translation." because if you were indeed trying to buy translation you would not disclose your selling price because it would drive up the offered price. If you leave that sentence in, the victim might smell a rat.

Anyway, modify to your liking and use as needed.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sad as it may seem... Sep 3, 2010

I have received mass e-mails from agencies in Russia, China and India offering to do my translation work for .03 (all subjects/all languages) which I then am somehow supposed to be able to magically resell at .14 when instead the .03 translation has practically no value at all (other than to a naive client).

Milos Prudek wrote:

To make it sound genuine, omit the "I normally charge EUR 0.14 for high quality translation." because if you were indeed trying to buy translation you would not disclose your selling price because it would drive up the offered price. If you leave that sentence in, the victim might smell a rat.

Anyway, modify to your liking and use as needed.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a low rate?: Help converting to per-word rate

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search