https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/17962-transcribing_what_is_the_going_rate.html

Transcribing - what is the going rate?
Thread poster: Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:28
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Feb 1, 2004

It's been so long.. What would be a healthy transcription rate these days here in the US, from tape to print? I've done some research, but that only taught me the rate could be anywhere between $0.03 and $0.18 per line (quite a range!).
Thanks in anticipation.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
I'm looking for the same information Mar 23, 2005

...and I noticed nobody had replied to your question.

Looking through the forums, I found this thread that looks useful.

Sophie Marette
Sophie Marette  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The first I did Mar 23, 2005

and that was a week ago was paid £30/1000 words. I've got no idea whether it is the usual price but that sounds ok to me.

Sophie

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
$12 / word Mar 24, 2005

Sophie Marette wrote:

and that was a week ago was paid £30/1000 words. I've got no idea whether it is the usual price but that sounds ok to me.

Sophie

Hi guys,

Thanks for picking up this moldy thread.
I guess Sophie did get a decent rate (approx. $15/word), while back then I had eventually settled for $12 / target word. Although to me it seemed a lot more time and effort invested in the project compared to a written text, that job was unique, challenging, and I did it for a friend of mine, so we were both happy in the end.

Happy Easter! =)

Ildiko

globalglasgow
globalglasgow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
In Scotland... Apr 6, 2005

Hi there,

In Scotland we tend to charge for transcription the following way:

between 3 and 4 x the actual length of the tape at the interpreting rate (around £20/hour) plus

wordcount of the transcribed document at the usual translation rate.

I know this system makes it a bit hard to provide accurate quotes in advance, but this is what most Agencies do in Scotland.

Regards,

Joao Madeira

Esther Hermida
Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
16.00 - 35.00 per minute of tape. (US) Apr 8, 2005

This is the case of transcription I've dealt with: It's usually an English and Spanish undercover or police interviews. Most of the audio is unclear so you need to replay it several times to get the right words. If it's to be used in court all utterances and background noise must be indicated. It's hard work.

We say one minute of tape takes up to an hour if it's difficult and half an hour if it's clear. That explains the range of prices per minute. That doesn't translate very well
... See more
This is the case of transcription I've dealt with: It's usually an English and Spanish undercover or police interviews. Most of the audio is unclear so you need to replay it several times to get the right words. If it's to be used in court all utterances and background noise must be indicated. It's hard work.

We say one minute of tape takes up to an hour if it's difficult and half an hour if it's clear. That explains the range of prices per minute. That doesn't translate very well to clients so you'l have to say that an 30 minute tape will take up to 30 hours of work and you can charge whatever your hourly rate is.

Translation of the transcription varies as that's the easy part.

Do remember that only a competent translator can trascribe a tape where two or more individuals speak more than one language. Your are getting paid for your language expertise and not simple to transcribe an audiotape.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcribing - what is the going rate?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »