Nicola March
Nicola March
Germany
Local time: 13:56
English to German
+ ...
Sep 8, 2010

Hello everybody,

The translating agency I am translating for gave me 3 assignements EN-DE last week, one was around 1,800 words, the second one around 3,400 and the last one around 5.100 words.

When I transmitted the first two translations to them, they were fine with the results.

The last one which was nuclear physics related with a lot of difficult terminology, they sent back to me immediately, saying there were a few mistakes in and I should correct the
... See more
Hello everybody,

The translating agency I am translating for gave me 3 assignements EN-DE last week, one was around 1,800 words, the second one around 3,400 and the last one around 5.100 words.

When I transmitted the first two translations to them, they were fine with the results.

The last one which was nuclear physics related with a lot of difficult terminology, they sent back to me immediately, saying there were a few mistakes in and I should correct them, she could not send the translation to the customer like that. So I did so.

When I opened my email account on Monday morning, she sent me a few messages saying that it was still not good enough and that the other 2 translations I did for her were full of mistakes too.

I agree with her on the 3rd translation, there were mistakes but I corrected them. She did some corrections too. She sent me the revised file so I could look at them and learn from my mistakes.

For this translation she wants a 50% discount.

For the other 2 translations she does not want me to pay at all, although she never send me any revised file. So I do not have any proof whether the translations were incorrect or not. I do not know what to do. That whole situation seems very fishy to me, she avoids questions, and always just talks around the situation.

She never even sends any assignements to an editor to proofread, she blames me then, if there are a few spelling or comma mistakes.

In my eyes that is the result of being cheap.

Can I get any advice??

Thanks so much!
Collapse

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
Local time: 13:56
French to English
+ ...
Where is the agency and by what law is the contract governed Sep 8, 2010

You'll have to tell us by what law the contract with the agency is governed - could be the law of at least 3 different countries - implicity or expressly on any order form. As you know, each country has different laws and the way of resolving your problem depends partly on where the agency is and partly on what any contract you have with it says.

I doubt it is English law, so am not going to suggest a quantum meruit vs. quantum valebat payment for the two non-payment jobs.

[E
... See more
You'll have to tell us by what law the contract with the agency is governed - could be the law of at least 3 different countries - implicity or expressly on any order form. As you know, each country has different laws and the way of resolving your problem depends partly on where the agency is and partly on what any contract you have with it says.

I doubt it is English law, so am not going to suggest a quantum meruit vs. quantum valebat payment for the two non-payment jobs.

[Edited at 2010-09-08 21:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-08 21:31 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:56
English to Thai
+ ...
In my Irish cases Sep 9, 2010

The similar situations happened to me 2 years ago. I did tons of e-learning translation, proofreading, translation aligning, web test and QA for an Irish translation agency for 4 years. They sent me one day request to assess new translators whom I gave scores free of charge. The agency told me next times that 2 of my translations were bad and it might not pay without hiring other translators to verify my bad points. I concluded this as a fraud and stopped doing more jobs of it.

... See more
The similar situations happened to me 2 years ago. I did tons of e-learning translation, proofreading, translation aligning, web test and QA for an Irish translation agency for 4 years. They sent me one day request to assess new translators whom I gave scores free of charge. The agency told me next times that 2 of my translations were bad and it might not pay without hiring other translators to verify my bad points. I concluded this as a fraud and stopped doing more jobs of it.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency refuses to pay due to "supposedly" wrong translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »