Client told me payment is made 45 days EOM. What Can I do?
Thread poster: Mariam Ahmed
Mariam Ahmed
Local time: 07:30
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2010

I have a work from a translation agency, who told me that Payment is made 45 days EOM . they send me papers, and want me to translate them with this, tell me plz what should I do..

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Problem? Sep 10, 2010

I don't think your question is explained clearly. Please rephrase what you think is the problem. Their payment terms? Their required documents (e.g., NDA to be signed)? The lack of a PO?

Daniel

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:30
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
45 days EOM... Sep 11, 2010

...means that they will pay you 45 days from the date of your invoice + current month (End of Month - EOM).
This may mean up to two and a half months, depending on when you finish the translation and submit your invoice.
What are the other papers?
HTH

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's up to you Sep 11, 2010

You can't buy "packaged translations" on credit from some supplier and keep them in stock for immediate delivery whenever anyone wants to buy them. You must translate whatever the client sends you for translation. Compare it to a mechanic fixing your car, a plumber fixing your toilet, a dentist or a doctor stopping your pain by prescribing a medication.

At the very moment you waive your right to be paid COD (cash on delivery), you join the moneylending business: you will actually be lending that client money until the day they pay you. In other words, you will be competing with your client's bank. If your interest rate is lower than their bank's, they will be making money at your expense. Actually, if your interest rate is lower than your bank's, you will be giving your client a discount.

Okay, if you are working through an agency, some time is needed for them to check your work, send it to the end-client with an invoice. Then, the end-client also needs some time to inspect your work before paying. And then the money has to take its route back, until it reaches you. I calculated that two weeks is more than enough for that, so it should be part of the game. Any payment term beyond two weeks means you are lending money.

Now regarding what you can do, you can do whatever you want about it if you live in a free country. It depends on how 'desperate' you are to get that job; if they find anyone more 'desperate' to offer "clearance rates and terms" compared to yours, you'll lose the job. Now I don't mean that either you or your competitors are desperate at all; this is just a comparison.

Bear in mind that some translation outsourcers play what I call the cash flow game. They couldn't care less about translation; they'd do it in any trade that allowed it. They get paid in advance, or upon delivery, and will pay you much later. In this meantime they'll have your money to live on. When time comes up to pay you, they'll do it with the money from the up-front or COD payment for the next job they get. If their demand drops or halts, the risk of not getting paid will be all yours. So watch out for payment terms longer than two weeks.

They may say that they can pay you only two months later because that's the payment term they give the end-client. In Brazil we call that saluting with someone else's hat. In any trade, the original services provider sets the terms. For some unknown reason, some desperate (that's why I mentioned it before) translators chose to relinquish that privilege. It's up to you to attempt to recoup it or not.

[Edited at 2010-09-11 20:41 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
What Can I do Sep 11, 2010

Mariam Ahmed wrote:

I have a work from a translation agency, who told me that Payment is made 45 days EOM . they send me papers, and want me to translate them with this, tell me plz what should I do..

Two month or more financing the LSP for free? Increase your price for late payment with the overdraft interest of your bank and write it very cleary in your acceptance of the PO. We are translators and run a serious business where we have actual costs to write down and taxes to be paied, we are not a credit entity...

[Edited at 2010-09-11 13:20 GMT]

broken_guitar
Agencies are a big problem Sep 11, 2010

Well, working for Translation Agencies mean that you probably won't get paid on delivery.
And, from my experience: Forget it!

I always get paid quite a long time after I deliver the job (usually within a month as of the delivery date).

So, adjust your budget and be prepared for it.

Analyze to whom you are working for. Check if the agency is well established in the market. Try to find someone else who works for it.

And good luck, pal!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Genralizations are dangerous Sep 11, 2010

Marco Dib wrote:
Well, working for Translation Agencies mean that you probably won't get paid on delivery.

I've had agencies that paid me COD, while most I continuously work for pay me in two weeks or less.

Now and then I take a random job from a new agency on their terms, i.e. lower rates and later payment. When they return to me with more work, I kinda tell them you had a chance to try my quality and my service on your terms once; if you want them again, it will be a pleasure to offer them on my terms from now on.

I consider this a better marketing investment than pay-per-click advertising contrivances where I have no control on who is clicking.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Agency payment for big volume jobs Sep 12, 2010

Marco Dib wrote:
I always get paid quite a long time after I deliver the job (usually within a month as of the delivery date).

Analyze to whom you are working for. Check if the agency is well established in the market. Try to find someone else who works for it.

I accept such late payment if the job volume is quite big [direct clients rarely give me big volume jobs] since I can manage with my income tax better through its taxation at source out of an agency.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

mckay2  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
You run a business Sep 13, 2010

As a freelance translator you are running your own business and need to keep an element of control. With direct clients we bill them at the end of each month for the work done in that month. The same goes for the agencies we work for. We then normally get paid within 2 weeks of those invoice dates. So basically we get paid early in the month for the work we did the previous month and this has worked really well so far with no outstanding invoices. I would not accept the payment terms you were offered unless it was a very well paid job for somebody you know and trust.

Mariam Ahmed
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all Sep 13, 2010

thank you all for your reply. I

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client told me payment is made 45 days EOM. What Can I do?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search