VAT outside Europe
Thread poster: xxxMozart
xxxMozart
Local time: 21:02
Feb 2, 2004

Hi,
I have to send an invoice to an agency in Prague: my accountant says I have to state INPS and VAT, but the owner of the agency says I can't, because they are outside Europe. Can anybody help me?
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Normally, no VAT should be charged Feb 3, 2004

...at least, that's the answer I would give you under German VAT regulations. No idea if there's any difference in Italian laws in this respect.

Why don't you check with the tax authorities? They should know...

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-03 13:52]

Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would say yes, VAT is chargeable for inter-community invoices Feb 26, 2004

GWalnut wrote:

Hi,
I have to send an invoice to an agency in Prague: my accountant says I have to state INPS and VAT, but the owner of the agency says I can't, because they are outside Europe. Can anybody help me?
Thank you!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What makes you so sure? Feb 26, 2004

Jason,

I would say yes, VAT is chargeable for inter-community invoices

Care to expand on what makes you so sure in this respect?

There's no need to expand on German VAT regulations - these were explained in a number of earlier threads, particularly in Rod Darby's explanation rendered back in October (with some more follow-up here.

You may also want to have a look at the information on the EU website, particularly regarding the VAT Information Exchange System (VIES).

Best regards, Ralf
Obviously, the asker needs to double-check whether there are any additional requirements to be taken into account in Italy,

Kallen6
Local time: 20:02
Russian to English
+ ...
If you are an Italian translator providing translation services... Apr 15, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Jason,

I would say yes, VAT is chargeable for inter-community invoices

Care to expand on what makes you so sure in this respect?

There's no need to expand on German VAT regulations - these were explained in a number of earlier threads, particularly in Rod Darby's explanation rendered back in October (with some more follow-up here.

You may also want to have a look at the information on the EU website, particularly regarding the VAT Information Exchange System (VIES).

Best regards, Ralf
Obviously, the asker needs to double-check whether there are any additional requirements to be taken into account in Italy,

...under EU VAT law, the place of supply rules is deemed to be outside Italy when supplied to an EU business customer (normally evidenced by a VAT number) or person established outside the EU. Therefore you do not need to charge VAT to a Czech person at all pre-1 May 2004. The Czechs may need to charge themselves VAT, but that is their problem. On their accession to the EU, there will also be no VAT, provided they are a business customer. You should obtain their VAT number and, depending on the Italian rules, you may need to mention it on your invoice. You may also need to refer to the provision of Italian legislation under which the service is deemed to be supplied outside of Italy, or under Article 9(2)(e) of the Sixth VAT Directive. These rules are basically the same throughout the EU.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT outside Europe

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search