Issuing invoices without Vat
Thread poster: Davide Negro

Davide Negro  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2010

I am working in italy as a freelance translator and and I have been recently contacted by an agency for a long-term collaboration. The problem is that I don't have a Vat number at the moment. Consequently, this is what they have said, I would not be allowed to work with them since my invoice couldn't be valid. Is there any chance to sort this matter out? In Italy I am allowed to issue invoices without Vat number (we call them "nota di prestazione" in this particular case) as long as my annual income does not exceed 5000 euros. What should I do in this case?

[Modificato alle 2010-09-10 20:32 GMT]


Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Another thread Sep 10, 2010

..on this is found here There are also some further links on the subject matter within the thread..

Maybe that'll help or at least explain the problem?


Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:45
English to Russian
+ ...
My experience Sep 11, 2010

On my invoices, I indicate my taxpayer number but state that I'm VAT exempt. This seems to suffice in EC.


Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:45
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Will this change? Sep 11, 2010

I'd recommend quoting the relevant Italian law (or whatever it is) and indicate that you currently fall under it. However, you can indicate that this "long term collaboration", if there's enough of it, would raise your income above EUR 5000 and ask them point blank whether they believe that is likely to happen. If so, you can point out, you can apply for a VAT number and will inform them when you have one.

That said, they probably have something in their software that sends up red flags if someone attempts to pay an invoice without a VAT number. They may decide it's not worth the hassle.


Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
A thread in the Italian forum about the matter Sep 12, 2010

Hi Davide

Please see this thread

Apparently, as from 1st January 2010 you must have a "partita IVA" to work with EU clients.




Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes... Sep 12, 2010

Paul Merriam wrote:
you can apply for a VAT number and will inform them when you have one.

In Italy one can get a "partita IVA" number in real time, you just need to go to the relevant office with your "codice fiscale" and they provide you the VAT number immediately.


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issuing invoices without Vat

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search