30% tax on jobs for Italian clients??
Thread poster: simona dachille

simona dachille  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:28
Italian to English
Sep 14, 2010

A colleague of mine is being charged 30% tax when invoicing their Italian clients as my colleague is not resident in Italy so cannot provide a PIVA number. Is this right? Surely not.... Anyone else being charged this much? TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:28
German to English
VAT Sep 14, 2010

Hello Simona,
I don't know what the "P" in "PIVA" stands for: I can't speak Italian and could only find IVA, but I assume it is a VAT issue.

The problem is that the Italian company is having trouble getting the VAT refunded that it is paying for your colleague's translations (reverse-charge system). Your friend is presumably exempt from British VAT, but this is not relevant for business-to-business inner-EU transactions. In this case, the Italian company must pay Italian VAT (not British VAT or a lack thereof) in order to simplify the refund process. In order to do this, they need a VAT number from the supplier - unless (!) the supplier is from Great Britain (and presumably several other countries with special exemptions).

Translators from most countries need a VAT-number for inner-EU clients even if they are VAT-exempt. However, if the colleague is working out of Great Britain, this is not necessary. The Italian tax office and the client repeating its position are wrong in this case. However, that will only make your colleague's life and that of her PM easier if they can convince an Italian tax official about a British exception to a new EU-wide policy.

30% also seems ridiculously high. According to Wikipedia (EN), the highest VAT rate in Italy is 20%.

For helpful links and sources, search "VAT" in the forums: This has been a hot topic lately.
Edit: Just came up again, follow the link in this discussion: http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/180268-número_intracomunitario.html

Sincerely,
Michael

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-14 13:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

30% tax on jobs for Italian clients??

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search