Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:27
English to German
+ ...
Feb 4, 2004

Hi,

although this is not the first time I am working for a US agency, it is the first time that I have to deal with their tax system (so far none of the other agencies have ever asked me to fill out any tax forms).

A US agency asked me to fill in the W-8BEN form. So far so good.

I have just reached the line where I have to either enter the SSN or the ITIN.

Thing is, I don't have an ITIN. Do I have to apply for one? If so, do I have to file fo
... See more
Hi,

although this is not the first time I am working for a US agency, it is the first time that I have to deal with their tax system (so far none of the other agencies have ever asked me to fill out any tax forms).

A US agency asked me to fill in the W-8BEN form. So far so good.

I have just reached the line where I have to either enter the SSN or the ITIN.

Thing is, I don't have an ITIN. Do I have to apply for one? If so, do I have to file for a tax return in future?

Regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:27
German to English
+ ...
Not the right form? Feb 5, 2004

I find the IRS and its regulations inscrutable at best! However, if you are not a US citizen, not domiciled in the US, and not working in the US, I am not sure why they would need to withhold tax. I don't think you can even have a SSN or ITIN under these circumstances.

Can anyone with more expertise shed some light on this?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on U.S. tax exemption - form W-8BEN

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »