How much do you charge for a glossary creation job?
Thread poster: Constance de Crayencour

Constance de Crayencour  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:30
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

I was asked by one of my client to create a glossary together with the translation of his documents.

I have no idea of the rate I can apply for this job.

What's yours?

Do you charge per word? Hour? Percentage of the translation price?

Many thanks for your help.

Constance

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
I charge by hour Oct 8, 2010

I spent many hours to search and select glossaries and I charge by my hours of labor. It is not reasonable to charge by source word since it is not mere translation of simple texts.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What will each entry contain? Oct 8, 2010

I think we would need to know how much information is required for each entry. I mean, do they require just a simple list of words and expressions in the source and target languages or do they want the entries caterogized, defined, referenced to external documents or websites?

If the simple list, personally I don't usually charge for that kind of work. I have to make a glossary anyway for future reference (I use MemoQ, and with this software you create each entry in just a second), so it's OK for me to hand over the list as a freebie as part of a quality service.

If the customer needs a more complete list with references, definitions, categorisation, etc., I charge by the time taken, at my hourly rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you charge for a glossary creation job?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search