https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/183131-recovering_monies_due_from_non_paying_uk_agency.html

Recovering monies due from non-paying UK agency
Thread poster: Sarah Port
Sarah Port
Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
German to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2010

I had a successful working relationship with a UK-based agency for over three years and was always paid on time. However, more recently, they have not paid my invoices, despite several reminders, citing cash flow problems as a reason. I sent them a letter by registered mail a short while ago threatening to take legal action without further notice if they did not pay all monies outstanding by a specified deadline. This deadline has now passed and there is still no sign of my money.

M
... See more
I had a successful working relationship with a UK-based agency for over three years and was always paid on time. However, more recently, they have not paid my invoices, despite several reminders, citing cash flow problems as a reason. I sent them a letter by registered mail a short while ago threatening to take legal action without further notice if they did not pay all monies outstanding by a specified deadline. This deadline has now passed and there is still no sign of my money.

My question is: how would you advise me to collect the monies due to me? Via the small claims court or a debt collection agency? (I am also based in the UK). Which of the two options is more straightforward/cost-effective/quicker?

Many thanks in advance
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Can't really help but... Oct 16, 2010

...I've heard that even if you go through the small claims court and win, people still don't pay. And since it sounds as if this firm may have gone out of business, in which case they won't turn up at court anyway, maybe your other option would be a better one. Presumably a debt recovery agency would be able to find out if the firm has gone out of business and if so, if it has been taken over by receivers, who might then be able to give you part of what you are owed out of the remaining assets o... See more
...I've heard that even if you go through the small claims court and win, people still don't pay. And since it sounds as if this firm may have gone out of business, in which case they won't turn up at court anyway, maybe your other option would be a better one. Presumably a debt recovery agency would be able to find out if the firm has gone out of business and if so, if it has been taken over by receivers, who might then be able to give you part of what you are owed out of the remaining assets of the firm.

By the way: if this firm is registered on the Blue Board entry you should make an entry about it.

[Edited at 2010-10-16 19:39 GMT]
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Paypal? Oct 17, 2010

If it's due to cash flow problems, have you tried seeing if they'll pay by Paypal, thus allowing them to pay by credit card? (You can send them a button link, so they don't even need to have a Paypal account, although if they're an agency they might.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovering monies due from non-paying UK agency

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »