International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

European Small Claims or Order for Payment?
Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
French to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

Hi there,

I need to chase some long-overdue money owed to me, which is just above the Small Claims threshold of €2000.

What is the main difference between applying for a European Order for Payment and going through small claims (I would have to reduce the amount I'm claiming with the later ). Does the EOP mean they have to pay up, or is it just legal proof that they owe you?

Many thanks
David

Direct link Reply with quote

Johanna Liljenzin  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:21
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Uncontested versus contested claims seem to be the key Oct 25, 2010

David,

Don't we all hate chasing money!

As I understand it, you should use the European Order for Payment if the claim is uncontested. I think that means a situation where your client has accepted your invoice but never gets around to actually paying it.

The European Small Claims Procedure should be used if a claim is contested. I believe that means that you should use it if your client denies that he/she owes you anything, or does not agree on the amount. This might happen if a client is unhappy with the quality of a translation.

I hope this helps!

These links include more information on the procedures: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/eu_cross_border_claim/index.htm

Kind regards,
Johanna

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Small Claims or Order for Payment?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search