Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
How's this for nerve: major LSP will require a 5% discount from their "translation partners"
Thread poster: Andrew Catford
Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
My antenna must be bent Nov 4, 2010

FWIW, I actually received the "Job Posting Pilot Program" mail, but I never did receive the "Lack-of-Reply-Address was a Mistake" mail. I also never received a response to the mail I did send letting them in on the status of their reputation.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:16
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Job Posting Pilot Programme Nov 4, 2010

Lisa Simpson wrote:Today they have launched their all-new 'Job Posting Pilot Programme' where we will be required to pay a subscription for the privilege of viewing and applying for any jobs!

The way I understood it is that you need to subscribe to Translation Workspace to take part in it, not to the program specifically:

Subscribe Today to Participate in Job Postings!
As a reminder, only Translation Workspace subscribers will be eligible to participate in our new Job Posting Program. Sign up today and be eligible to be in the pilot program and take advantage of Translation Workspace for all your translation projects!

Which is nothing new, really - non-local offices contacted me before without a special program. It's nice to see a change to the boring content of TW spam, though.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, you are right Nov 4, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

The way I understood it is that you need to subscribe to Translation Workspace to take part in it, not to the program specifically:

I was just taking a short cut. It's indeed worse: two subscriptions for the price of... two No work without one or the other or both in fact.
They may be under genuine pressure, I cannot judge that, but the speed with which they are thinking up new ways of trying to squeeze a buck can only turn people away. They may fail or they may succeed in their attempts if enough people still choose to sign up and agree to their increasingly ruthless work practices, time will tell, but I am hopeful there is still enough time for those who are heavily reliant on them as one of their main sources of income to start looking elsewhere.

[Edited at 2010-11-04 14:25 GMT]

Margreet Mohle
Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:16
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks from a new freelancer Nov 4, 2010

This thread has been very informative for me. I had just viewed a webinar on the translation tool and was surprised by the "need to subscribe in order to work"; wondering if the flow of possible jobs would justify it. I won't bother now!

Good luck to those involved with the company, hope you find better sources for work soon.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Not sure about that Nov 4, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

A joke is worth laughing about or ignoring.

It rather depends what underlying attitudes the joke is based on. Some attitudes should not necessarily be ignored. I'm sure you don't need me to point out the kind of jokes I'm talking about. IMHO, the same applies to metaphorical jokes as literal ones.

And if anyone could privately send me the details they received about this job posting private prog, I would be grateful, ta.

Edit: Update, I now have the info in question, and my thanks to those who took the time and trouble to reply.

[Edited at 2010-11-04 17:08 GMT]

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
On a roll Nov 4, 2010

Our major LSP is clearly on a roll here. I am sure a couple of executives are busy at this very moment working out the next 'special offer' for any translators foolish enough to agree to the Job Posting Pilot Programme.

Perhaps we help them in their task. Can I suggest:

- requiring all participating translators to open 'privileged' accounts at a designated bank in order to receive their payments.

- introducing a pyramid scheme whereby translators can earn
... See more
Our major LSP is clearly on a roll here. I am sure a couple of executives are busy at this very moment working out the next 'special offer' for any translators foolish enough to agree to the Job Posting Pilot Programme.

Perhaps we help them in their task. Can I suggest:

- requiring all participating translators to open 'privileged' accounts at a designated bank in order to receive their payments.

- introducing a pyramid scheme whereby translators can earn from a percentage of the work performed by other translators whom they have introduced.

- a monthly 'Shareholder's Sunday' program whereby translators work for free one Sunday a month so that the company shareholders can be made to feel special.

- minimum payment transfers of a thousand dollars with a small service charge for safekeeping accrued but unpaid sums.

- dispensing with payments altogether and simply offering credits to be used in the 'Trusted Translators Gift Shop'.

Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Are they reading this? Nov 4, 2010

Riveting thread!
Does anyone know whether the Leonine River-Crossing entity has read this thread - or taken any of the comments on board?
As the King of the Jungle entity is listed on Proz, my bet is that it certainly has read it - and probably hasn't taken it on board.
Keep roaring,
Jenny

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Pilot Programme Nov 4, 2010

As I tried to explain before, in my opinion the programme is not a seperate paid scheme, but a new incentive to subscribe to Translator Workspace. They certainly should have worded it more clearly.

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
English to Polish
+ ...
The full text is on the web Nov 4, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:

And if anyone could privately send me the details they received about this job posting private prog, I would be grateful, ta.[Edited at 2010-11-04 17:08 GMT]

If anyone would like to see it less privately, it was kindly posted as comment #5 on this page

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Huh? Nov 4, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

As I tried to explain before, in my opinion the programme is not a seperate paid scheme, but a new incentive to subscribe to Translator Workspace. They certainly should have worded it more clearly.

Language service provider, right?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
View from a potential client Nov 4, 2010

About two weeks ago I received a friendly call from a gentleman who introduced himself as representing a leonine company.

Having read previous threads here at ProZ about said company, my instinct was to commence a discussion about quality. But I was too busy and cut him off with my standard: we keep all translation in-house (almost true).

How I, as a freelancer as well as an in-house employee, would have loved to start a discussion about the way they source their suppl
... See more
About two weeks ago I received a friendly call from a gentleman who introduced himself as representing a leonine company.

Having read previous threads here at ProZ about said company, my instinct was to commence a discussion about quality. But I was too busy and cut him off with my standard: we keep all translation in-house (almost true).

How I, as a freelancer as well as an in-house employee, would have loved to start a discussion about the way they source their suppliers/translators, ensure quality and numerous other issues that might affect the quality of the product they supply.

Next time he calls me I’ll make sure to find some time to discuss these issues.
Collapse

Jennyfer Deffland
Jennyfer Deffland  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
No peanuts for translators Nov 5, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Polite or simply professional?

My existing and potential clients have free access to this forum, as do yours. I certainly wouldn't like my clients to read my rant about another client. As I said in my posting, I would never consider working for them and I did not appreciate their email. End of story.

I was just going to post on the same subject but with a contrary opinion.

As far as I know, (end) clients cannot access the Blue Board (or can they?), right?
So, a potential client looking to hire an LSP does not have access to first-hand information from those working for the LSP.

I've seen various LSPs promoting their services with phrases like "we only use top-notch linguists with very strict QA processes....". Some of the LSPs are certainly entitled to claim so, because they really do as they say. However, I've also experienced cases in which the LSP's claims weren't really backed by their internal processes.

Of course, some end clients might not care at all about how the linguists are treated and how quality is assured. But some may do. Some may say, hey, we don't want to hire an LSP that gobbles up all the profit and forces the linguists to perform rush jobs without adequate pay (thus leading to a deterioration of quality).

Shouldn't there be some way for these end clients to hear from the people who work for the LSP?

Maybe the forums aren't the best place to do that.. but is there any other place?

Personally, I'm glad about the existence of this thread since I've also had this LSP on my radar for a while and will thus not fall into their trap one day. So, thanks to the original poster(s).

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Spanish translators getting organized Nov 5, 2010

http://www.asetrad.org/index.asp?op=12&detalle=256&pag

This is very interesting (in Spanish, here's a Google English "translation": http://tinyurl.com/34n3jv2). Could any colleagues involved shed some more light?

Link fo
... See more
http://www.asetrad.org/index.asp?op=12&detalle=256&pag

This is very interesting (in Spanish, here's a Google English "translation": http://tinyurl.com/34n3jv2). Could any colleagues involved shed some more light?

Link found on http://traductor-financiero.com/blog1/2010/10/31/a-personal-response-to-lionbridge-vp-didier-helin’s-unilateral-demand-of-a-5-discount/
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Prozactive? (FYI) Nov 5, 2010

According to this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/184559-geoworkz.html#1618486
the Proz.com site founder has put a call in to the company in question with regard to the confusing nature of the promotion of their software...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How's this for nerve: major LSP will require a 5% discount from their "translation partners"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »