Thread poster: Marinela Sandoval

Marinela Sandoval  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2010

Hi,
I was wondering how much to charge for a marriage and birth certificate translation from Romanian to English? It also needs to be notarized and have the Apostille. I never worked with Apostille before, so I have no idea how much to charge. I would have to go in person to the Secretary of State.
Thanks,
Marinela Sandoval

Direct link Reply with quote

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Time and costs Nov 5, 2010

The apostille is essentially an internationally recognized supra-notarization so that the notary's notarization of your signature on your statement of authenticity will be accepted in Romania. Assuming that is what you are talking about, charge your hourly rate for time spent plus any incidentals (apostille fee if any, mileage or other transport, parking, etc.).
Only sensible way to do it, I think.
On top of your translation fee, of course. I generally charge a flat fee for those.
Just check (and double-check, despite what they tell you the first time!) that the apostille office is open when you want to go. I learned that the hard way...

[Edited at 2010-11-05 19:04 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Can't your client get the apostille? Nov 5, 2010

Are you positive that you actually have to make the trip to SOS for the apostille? Can't your client take the translation and notarized COA there themselves?

Marinela Sandoval  Identity Verified
United States
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apostille Nov 5, 2010

Thank you so much for your reply!

Since the Apostille along with the documents need to go to the Romanian Embassy, my client specified that the Apostille needs to be obtained from the same state of residency of the translator( at least this is what she was told by the Romanian Embassy). Since I am not in the same state, than I would have to get it.

Thanks,
Marinela

Hewhotranslates
Local time: 06:46
German to English
+ ...
Translator's location should not matter Aug 2, 2012

Marinela Sandoval wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply!

Since the Apostille along with the documents need to go to the Romanian Embassy, my client specified that the Apostille needs to be obtained from the same state of residency of the translator( at least this is what she was told by the Romanian Embassy). Since I am not in the same state, than I would have to get it.

Thanks,
Marinela

Sorry, I am taking this up again, as I was doing some research on the Apostille and found this. Marinela, I think the info you got is not correct.
It doesn't make any sense that the "Apostille needs to be obtained from the same state of residency of the translator". I recently needed an Apostille in connection with a Canadian document to be translated for Spanish authorities.

The information I received from several notaries public and government offices in Canada and Europe was that the Apostille has absolutely nothing to do with the translator.

An Apostille authenticates the original document. Therefore, Apostilles are normally issued in the country where the original document was issued, which makes sense. Why and how would a country authenticate a document from another country? How can a court in Italy know if a document from Denmark is original?

In my case, since Canada is not a member of the Hague Convention, several diplomatic steps had to be made turning this Apostille requirement into a beaurocratic farce:

1) Notary Public verifying that copy is a true copy of original document in country where document was issued (in this case Canada) ->
2) Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa (verifying and authenticating notary public's notarization) ->
3) Spanish Consulate in Toronto (verifying and authenticating Canadian Government's authentication) ->
4) Spanish Government in Madrid (verifying and authenticating Spanish embassy's/consulate's authentication).

After all these steps, the authenticated (Apostilled) document had to be translated by a certified translator. Whether that translator was in Spain or Canada did not matter as long as he/she was certified and internationally recognized.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Mariela. Aug 2, 2012

They only need the Apostile if they are to use the translation outside of the United Stated. They do not need it at all if the document is to be used for any purpose in the United States. All they need is a Certificate of Accuracy signed by you before a Notary Public. I think the fees for a notarized translation of a Birth Certificate are around $30-$50, and for Marriage Certificate $50-$70. The Apostille is a real trouble. You would have to charge $120 -$150 just for the Apostille, if they want you to get it. You would have to go to the County Clerk of the Notary's registration to get a pink slip that the person is a real Notary registered in that particular county and that his or her license did not expire. Then you would have to send it to the Secretary of State and wait about ten days for them to return it. There are some fees - $2 at the County Clerk's for one slip - you may need more than one, and ten dollars payable to the Secretary of State for each Apostille.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marriage and birth certificate translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search