Thread poster: Marilia Vinson

Marilia Vinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 4, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I have completed some translation projects for a company based in Argentina in February this year and have been trying, in vain, to collect payment from them since April. I have run out of options and my last resort is to seek legal assistance or something like that. But the amount they owe me is not significant to the point of hiring a lawyer, for example. I would like to know if anyone knows of some kind of government agency or something of the sort that I could seek in the United States to help me on this matter. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Lila

Direct link Reply with quote

Yuko TB  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:40
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Don't give up Dec 4, 2010

Hi,

In my case, same as you, some Indian company did not pay several times.
They lied to me that they sent out the check, and they assigned new jobs.

Finally, I said "I'll be there next week with my lawyer. Of course our travel expense will be your responsibility." , and they paid.
Actually, that was my bluff.

If you could contact to the customer and got any reply, it will be effective.
Good Luck!

Yuko

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:40
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Argentina Dec 4, 2010

My work for Argentina was insisted to pay only at PayPal. I do not know the restriction. For small amount collection oversea, seek a good collecting agency [many of them are not as good as boasted.]

Soonthon Lupkitaro

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A possibly similar case today Dec 4, 2010

Please see my message:
http://www.proz.com/forum/portuguese/186895-debt_collection_in_brazil.html

I couldn't tell you about Argentina, however both cases illustrate the 'risk factor' that should be embedded in any business prices. Many electronics/appliances repair shops have a warning on their job stubs to the effect that "after the estimate has been approved and the equipment repaired, items that remain uncollected for over 90 days may be sold for the repair charges".

Well, you can't sell unpaid translations, so your risk - as a translator - is higher than an electronics/appliances repair shop. We are expected to consider that upon setting our rates. Yet payment assurance from a nearby long-standing client seems to be a much better reason to grant discounts than fuzzy matches.

Marilia Vinson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, if possible send more ideas Dec 4, 2010

Thank you for the ideas. I has already thought of actually going to Argentina, as it is close to Brazil, on my next trip to Brazil and go to their office and say "I will only leave after I get paid for the translation and compensated for my traveling expenses." I might actually do that.

I have threatened to send a debt collector and they said, OK, do that. I couldn't believe it.

I would still appreciate if someone could send me a website for some organization based in the US that could help me with this issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Collecting Payment from Argentina

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search