Thread poster: Ebru Kopf
Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
French to English
+ ...
@Mlinar Dec 14, 2010

I must admit I didn't know the details of the SWIFT tags that you mention. However, in fairness, not all banks may give you this level of control. For example, my bank gives me an on-line form that I fill in, and sometimes there's an option to select who pays what fees, but sometimes there isn't. It's not clear what the criteria are that determine whether or not this option appears, or if I wanted to specify the tags you mention, where I would actually put them.

On the plus side, tr
... See more
I must admit I didn't know the details of the SWIFT tags that you mention. However, in fairness, not all banks may give you this level of control. For example, my bank gives me an on-line form that I fill in, and sometimes there's an option to select who pays what fees, but sometimes there isn't. It's not clear what the criteria are that determine whether or not this option appears, or if I wanted to specify the tags you mention, where I would actually put them.

On the plus side, transfer fees are presumably tax deductable in most jurisdictions.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
See previous discussion about intermediary fees Dec 15, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/181460-bank_fees.html#1592617

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:50
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Understand the translator but Dec 15, 2010

I have some understanding for the translator, since obviously 20$ from a 90$ transfer is a lot (it's not about 20$ as such but about the % of the fee). However, as it's been noted before:

1. the translator is the person responsible for charging an appropriate amount and the translator should know their bank and bank account. Any additional fees or payments should be agreed upon in advance. Sending a surprise-invoice with an additional bank fee payment included is very unprofession
... See more
I have some understanding for the translator, since obviously 20$ from a 90$ transfer is a lot (it's not about 20$ as such but about the % of the fee). However, as it's been noted before:

1. the translator is the person responsible for charging an appropriate amount and the translator should know their bank and bank account. Any additional fees or payments should be agreed upon in advance. Sending a surprise-invoice with an additional bank fee payment included is very unprofessional. I, personally, would stand by my principles and I wouldn't pay for the additional bank cost since I was unaware of it.

2. Despite the above, I would be reluctant to charge bank fees since there are paypal, or moneybookers that can help with transferring small amounts of money at low cost. If the project is small and there's little chance of having more (i.e. so you can send a bulk invoice) the rate should be adjusted accordingly.

If I was a client or project manager I would probably be reluctant to work with the translator again.
Collapse

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Swift instructions + intemediary bank fees Dec 15, 2010

Mlinar:
Most agencies are aware of SWIFT instructions, but they just say "we did pay our expenses, we see no problem, ask your bank". They won't bother, especially when sending money out of the EU. (In case you have problems regarding this, just ask the agency to send you the SWIFT log form the bank, and look for BEN/OUR/SHA.)

As Katalin has pointed out, Swift instructions are not always enough. Many times some intermediary banks grab their own part of the money along the way to the beneficiary bank...

I have an overseas client whose bank recently changed intermediary bank.

This has resulted into higher bank fees on arrival (three times higher than the previous) since the new intermediary bank adds ANOTHER intermediary bank before coming to my bank (which fortunately does not charge ANY bank fees on incoming bank transfers).

I know I can't ask my client to change bank and I know they pay their own bank fees on remittance.

We solved this situation by slightly raising my rate in order to cover all bank fees.

Bye!
Gianni

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator charging extra 20 EUR to his invoice as a bank fee

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »